Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 AM

Default WRT54G Wireless router & USB adaptor or hardwire to modem?

I recently (Wednesday) joined the 21 century and had high speed internet installed. Sort of.
The cable outlet in the "computer room" is dead. The tech said that it would be easier to buy a wireless router and USB adaptor, than to run a hard wire from the back of the house to the "computer room".
So...... I bought the stuff and installed it but....... the modem's dead and the tech's coming back today to replace it.
I went to the Linksys website to take a look an came across a forum where members are ripping into the Linksys WRT54G for draining memory and generally being a pain in the butt.
Memory isn't a problem for the PC but getting dropped connections is. I don't plan on doing any online gaming other than poker so I don't see overloading the router as a problem.
Would I be happier if I just split the cable in the TV room and ran a cable through the adjoining wall into the "computer room"?
The install would be easy enough and I don't plan on adding any other PC's that could access the router.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: WRT54G Wireless router & USB adaptor or hardwire to modem?

I have this exact setup, and have never had a problem. The USB adapter works like a charm. I play poker online, and some gaming, with no problems at all.

For things like downloads, firmware upgrades, etc. you are better off with an ethernet connection to the modem, just to maintain the integrity of the files...but that's not a huge issue either.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The cable outlet in the "computer room" is dead. The tech said that it would be easier to buy a wireless router and USB adaptor, than to run a hard wire from the back of the house to the "computer room".

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that funny. The tech said the exact same thing to my parents when they bought their computer- imagine that. (installation cost was "free") They bought the same exact Linksys router and a USB antennae. They have connection issues at times.

I'm no expert, but I think if you did some searching you'd find a wired connection is definitely better if the wire isn't an issue.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:54 PM

Of course it is easier to not have to pull cable, whether it is better or not is the question. I would try a while with a modem that worked before making any changes.