Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 06:25 AM

Default How do people work out Ev to such an exact extent??

I keep reading various posts on this form and see things that I just don’t understand. So was after a little bit of help please.

villain is 36/19/5

What and where do these people get these figures from??? Do I need to start using this if I want to be a better player a more profitable player???

Ev +

Sometimes i see posts where people say yes you should call you have positive Ev. Now I understand that this means in the long run you will win money if you make this decision.

However I have seem people work this out after saying I think he would only raise with these sort of hands like big pairs and Ak Aq and then work out a percentage as to what he might have and their chances of winning. Now on earth do you work this all out in 10 seconds.

Is it possible to be so accurate with your Ev estimations???

How do successful players work out when to call or fold in difficult situations???
Old 11-15-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: How do people work out Ev to such an exact extent??

36/19/5

There is a programme called pokertracker. It uses all the information in your hand history to calculate certain values (stats) -

The ones you mentions are VPIP/PFR%/AF

Which are the volume put in the pot (how lose is he)
Pre flop raise percentage
Agression Factor.

Poker tracker is vital. Its like $50 and is a necessary invesment.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes i see posts where people say yes you should call you have positive Ev. Now I understand that this means in the long run you will win money if you make this decision.

However I have seem people work this out after saying I think he would only raise with these sort of hands like big pairs and Ak Aq and then work out a percentage as to what he might have and their chances of winning. Now on earth do you work this all out in 10 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people (5%?) here have done EV calculations for different scenarios so every time they see a hand, they recognize what the best play is because they have done those kind of calculations before. Other (95%?) think that they know what they are talking about but they don't.

Read CTS's old blog for examples of EV calculaton and hand analysis. It's better than 90% of poker books writen.
[ QUOTE ]

Is it possible to be so accurate with your Ev estimations???

How do successful players work out when to call or fold in difficult situations???

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always. But if you try to estimate your EV as close as posible, then mistakes you make will cancel each other in a long run and you will end up with correct EV on average.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:22 AM

Also pokerstove is much used program that gives quick percentages on how your hand is vs villains hand range.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 AM

ah crap wrong topic
Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 AM

Pokerstove is free and very usefull. But it's pretty damn hard to enter in the information during a hand fast enough, especially if you're multitabling. But try to guess what you think your pot equity is against his range, then enter in the data later and see how close you got. If you do this over and over again you will get good at making these kind of estimations. If you know your pot equity, it's simple arithmetic to work out your expected value.

Also, just so you don't get on the wrong track, pokerstove won't help much if there's things like implied odds to consider. So use it mostly if there's no more betting left after this move. (IE your opponent has gone all in or you are considering moving all in.)
Old 11-15-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokerstove is free and very usefull. But it's pretty damn hard to enter in the information during a hand fast enough, especially if you're multitabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually use www.pokerhand.org while playing. By quickly submitting the hand there you can click "flop" or "turn" to see the equity vs. villains hand. Vs. his range you need pokerstove though. On the other hand you PokerStove isn't that slow to use once you get used to entering hands and can be done while playing, although a detailed and more mindful review afterwards often is a better idea.