Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Going to Chicago for Work - What to do?`

Cappy, 4 of us 2+2ers from #msnl will also be at wrigley on friday for cubs vs. sox and bar hopping friday and most likely saturday too.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 AM

1) not going to a game at wrigley if you have a chance is stupid.
2) going to a game at wrigley (especially if you get seats not in a deck) is so much superior to anything at cellular it's not funny. unless of course you need fireworks and video games at your baseball game
3) palmer house is not in the middle of anything but a dead stretch of michigan avenue.
4) if you want to stay at an awesome hotel stay at the sofitel. it's expensive, but it's actually in the middle of things, intead of not. it's also supposed to be absolutely pimptastic as a hotel.
5) chop house is a good recommendation as a steakhouse rec.
6) bar hopping around wrigleyville after games is fun, but be ready to deal with really, really annoying drunk people and most likely somewhat mobby behavior after a cubs/sox game.
7) one of my favorite things to do in the city is drinks in the bar at the top of the hancock tower. it's often too crowded or has too long a wait for tables, drinks are too expensive, or whatever, but it's just cool.

meh, there's more i guess, but if you're in town just to have some fun, find a good meal to eat, see a game or something, hit some good bars, chill, whatever.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:54 AM

I was there for a few days for work once a few years ago too. Two particular items of note...

1) Giordano's - possibly the best pizza I have ever had
2) Gene & Georgetti's - the BEST steak I've ever had...$50ish though
Old 05-15-2007, 03:00 AM

Sweet - thanks for all the good recommendations everyone. I'm gonna call and book a room somewhere tomorrow. Some of the hotels are a bit pricey though (~$500ish). Since I'm staying by myself, I'm looking for something more in the $200-$300 range. $300 is pretty much my hotel ceiling.

As for sightseeing, eating, and drinking at night, all that advice is great. I was recommended by a good friend who used to live there to hit up Wrigleyville too and go bar hopping, so I just might do that.

And Sunday, the game is at 1:20, so I figured I'd put a bid on eBay for a ticket and go from there. Worst case scenario, I can probably scalp them. I saw tix on eBay buy it now for a bleacher seat for about $50 after shipping. This ok?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:15 AM

$50 for bleacher seats to cubs sox seems like a great price. i would snap that up quickly.

if you choose not to, yes, there's ample scalping almost always in the neighborhood before the game. unless of course you mean that you could resell them. which is also probably true.

weather was perfect for outdoors stuff today, hopefully it holds up for your trip.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet - thanks for all the good recommendations everyone. I'm gonna call and book a room somewhere tomorrow. Some of the hotels are a bit pricey though (~$500ish). Since I'm staying by myself, I'm looking for something more in the $200-$300 range. $300 is pretty much my hotel ceiling.

As for sightseeing, eating, and drinking at night, all that advice is great. I was recommended by a good friend who used to live there to hit up Wrigleyville too and go bar hopping, so I just might do that.

And Sunday, the game is at 1:20, so I figured I'd put a bid on eBay for a ticket and go from there. Worst case scenario, I can probably scalp them. I saw tix on eBay buy it now for a bleacher seat for about $50 after shipping. This ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just head to north halsted, the Bars and Hotels up that way are great, and a man of your age will have nooo problem finding a place to "hole up" for the night. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2007, 06:16 AM

Everyone in this thread is right except

1. Wrigley is more fun
2. Gino's is the best pizza in the city.

This thread makes me miss Chicago so bad.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:03 AM

A nice low-key bar is Kelly's just off Sheffield on Webster in Lincoln Park, next to the El tracks. This was home base during my time at DePaul, an easy to stagger back, 1/2 block from my apartment. You can cross the street to McGee's when you want to see the women.

The Chicago Chop House and the Signature Room on the top of the Hancock are outstanding suggestions.