Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Contest: name this social movement

I consider this the most important post I've ever written here.

Things need labels, but there is a frightening political phenomenon that does not have a name. You have your Neocons, your New Dealers, Cold War liberals, lesbian separatists -- most political tendencies have names. Without names, an entire fascist movement can remain cloaked in Orwellian invisibility.

Several recent books expose Christian dominionism -- a rightwing evangelical movement that seeks to extend Christ's "dominion" (i.e. control) throughout American society and the military. Chris Hedges wrote American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America. A brand new book describes an antisemitic Christian cult that has taken over the Air Force Academy. The book is With God on Our Side: One Man's War Against an Evangelical Coup in America's Military by a Jewish Air Force Academy graduate. It has a website too. Another related book is Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism.

A lot of sober minded people say this movement represents a genuine American fascist movement in its early stages.

These folks are getting a pass in political discourse, so far, largely because they do not yet have a good handle. Take the Iraq war -- they are being let off the hook. We blame Bush and the Neocons, but the dominionists are even more to blame for making this war possible. Their crazy beliefs reach even the outback of Arkansas, where many people believe that US support for Israel is the only thing holding back God's wrath on us. Literally.

So what should we call them? I don't like "Christian Right" because it is not specific enough, and has too many positive connotations. Christian fascists may be accurate, but won't stick. Some concepts that a new label might invoke:

Separation of state and church
Moral absolutism
Belief that God speaks directly to believers
God takes sides
Apocalypse is coming, make America Christian now.

Some attempts:

Dominionists
NeoCrusaders
Kevlar Christians

Other suggestions?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Contest: name this social movement

[ QUOTE ]
A brand new book describes an antisemitic Christian cult that has taken over the Air Force Academy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Their crazy beliefs reach even the outback of Arkansas, where many people believe that US support for Israel is the only thing holding back God's wrath on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which is it?

I have a hard time taking seriously the cries of "christian fundamentalist fascism" and the like that attempt to paint western Christians with the same brush as the "Islamofascists". Within the past couple of days Iran's president was denounced for "indecency" by religious leaders for kissing the gloved hand of his elderly former school marm and giving her a hug. The country's recent recent dresscode crackdown continues. What do the christians want over here? Silly monuments on courthouse lawns.

The cries of "christiofascism" simply sound like hysteria and hyperbole, and only serve to hurt the cause of those trying to keep religion from gaining power in government.

And as always, I will note that if power were not concentrated into the hands of an elite minority, you wouldn't have to worry about which minority held the reigns.

Disclaimer: I am not a christian.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 PM

I think borodog has a point, but Kevlar Christians is a nice term.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think borodog has a point, but Kevlar Christians is a nice term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conceded.

[ QUOTE ]
The cries of "christiofascism" simply sound like hysteria and hyperbole, and only serve to hurt the cause of those trying to keep religion from gaining power in government.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll start to worry as soon as I see Christian suicide bombers targeting women and children. Until then, not so much.

We have real enemies that want me dead. No need to invent ephemeral and fraudulent ones.

Hijack:

I object strongly to the idea of labelling all concepts and "movements" with some "ism". "Ism"ing somthing turns potentially good ideas into potentially destructive pseudo-religions. Identifying an "ism" and aligning yourself behind it in all circumstances and environments is like picking a sports team, except that when you wave your giant foam "ism" finger you actually think that your "ism" is the most important thing in the entire world and, more often than not, you're willing to use a tank to make sure your "ism" wins.

In conclusion, "Ismism" is the worst thing humanity has even done.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:02 PM

I don't think the "Christian" part is terribly worrying, it's the "fascist" part that manipulates evangelism towards political ends. When millions and millions are putting their absolute, unquestioning faith in the words of some minister, I don't think it matters too much what the particulars are of the religion he represents, just that it's a short walk for that minister to become corrupted and try to rally his influence into political power, which is easy enough to do. And if the minister or the politician who pulls his strings happens to be a little monomaniacal and militaristic... could be scary.

Maybe I'm not really disagreeing with you. I'm sure "hysteria and hyperbole" are fairly accurate labels, because a lot of the anti-Christian fascism stuff is probably as politically motivated as anything. BUT, considering the extreme threats to freedom such a movement could represent if it were real and had some real success, it seems like it's still worth taking very seriously. I don't really know though. I just want to make sure I'm alerted in time to move to Australia before the High Priest assumes command.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In conclusion, "Ismism" is the worst thing humanity has even done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, nice. QFT.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll start to worry as soon as I see Christian suicide bombers targeting women and children. Until then, not so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second hijack of the thread: You're okay with Christian suicide bombers targeting men? Are you some kind of extreme femminist or something?
Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM

ChristNazis?

Do you really consider these people a threat? They don't appear to be intelligent enough to truly take over America.