Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Oversized Chip

I'm well aware of the fact that placing a single oversized chip into the pot constitutes a call unless stated otherwise verbally. However, while playing at the newly opened Wheeling Island poker room, I ran into a situation where I was unsure of what the proper rule was.

I was playing 1/2 NL and was in one of the blinds. There were no raises preflop so the pot was pretty small, so on the flop I decided to bet $5. I was opening the betting and placed a single $5 chip into the pot. I normally announce what I'm doing verbally, but it didn't seem necessary here. I think someone followed suit by calling with a red chip, and then somebody called by using 2 white chips. Somehow my oversized chip seemed to constitute the minimum bet since I didn't say anything. I was confused for a second and didn't protest as I was trying to figure out what happened. The action progressed before I got a chance to say anything, and I didn't think it was that big a deal at the time anyway. Is this a normal rule or is it a case of a newbie dealer mistake?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Oversized Chip

[ QUOTE ]
I'm well aware of the fact that placing a single oversized chip into the pot constitutes a call unless stated otherwise verbally. However, while playing at the newly opened Wheeling Island poker room, I ran into a situation where I was unsure of what the proper rule was.

I was playing 1/2 NL and was in one of the blinds. There were no raises preflop so the pot was pretty small, so on the flop I decided to bet $5. I was opening the betting and placed a single $5 chip into the pot. I normally announce what I'm doing verbally, but it didn't seem necessary here. I think someone followed suit by calling with a red chip, and then somebody called by using 2 white chips. Somehow my oversized chip seemed to constitute the minimum bet since I didn't say anything. I was confused for a second and didn't protest as I was trying to figure out what happened. The action progressed before I got a chance to say anything, and I didn't think it was that big a deal at the time anyway. Is this a normal rule or is it a case of a newbie dealer mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealer mistake, or being a new room it could be a rule mistake. When you are creating the action an over sized chip is the max bet up to the size of the chip, when facing action an over sized chip is a call.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:38 PM

yea dealer mistake.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea dealer mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-18-2007, 05:15 PM

I think it was more Player mistake. Easy solution. Announce your intent.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is routine call that the dealer totally screwed up. I'm amazed that any of the players even thought this could be interpreted as a $2 bet. I've seen this bet hundreds of times and it has never been controversial.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. After the flop and opening the action there is no "oversized chip" rule. If the OP had tossed out a $25, $100, $500, $1000 or $5000 chip, that is the bet.

Either dealer mistake or the room does not understand the basic rules for NL play.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM

Wait...

...I'm a dumbass. Didn't realize this was Post Flop.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:53 PM

Still. In Live Poker please just freaking announce your intent. It eliminates ambiguity. Not saying that the OP is guilty of this, but too many people try to get cute or think it looks cool to just toss out a chip. Verbally declare your intent and erase the ambiguity.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still. In Live Poker please just freaking announce your intent. It eliminates ambiguity. Not saying that the OP is guilty of this, but too many people try to get cute or think it looks cool to just toss out a chip. Verbally declare your intent and erase the ambiguity.

[/ QUOTE ]

With more experienced players speaking up when not necessary can increase confusion, not remove it. Example someone bets $50, 2 people call, next player tosses in a $100 chip and says something. It is loud and the dealer couldn't hear him clearly he has to stop the action and ask the player what he said (because the dealer is listening for someone to say "raise"). He finds out the player said "call" so now he can start the action back up.