Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 PM

Default The US Dollar and Non-US Sites

Like many Canadian players, the US dollar has been a major headache for me this year. I know there have been posts about this but my question relates to the Non-US facing sites.

Since a weaker US dollar effectively lowers the stakes for everyone there, do people think everyone will simply move up in levels to balance things out? For instance, if the Greenback went down to 50% of the value of the loonie (and devalued roughly equally against the Euro), would $109 SNGs simply be the new $55 SNGs for everyone, and everyone who would've played the $109s under parity would just play the $215s? Or would the fish simply think "50 bones is 50 bones" and not think about un-fun things like currency exchange? Or would it be like book prices, which correct for currency fluctuations but only every ten years or so?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: The US Dollar and Non-US Sites

[ QUOTE ]
would $109 SNGs simply be the new $55 SNGs for everyone, and everyone who would've played the $109s under parity would just play the $215s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Even though the USD lost in value, it's not so much.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Comparatively a lower rake cap. Good time to pump euros to poker sites where one plays with dollars (if it doesn't cost too much, e.g. some sites take more for the conversion, and the idea is euros to dollar accounts of the site). Good time to start making shots to move up. Though the difference is just some 10% more to what it was but I didn't like it even then though the lower rake cap helps. 100 euros at this time costs some $140. There's a good idea to hold the money one has now or wins now before turning it into euros.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Of course it hasn't lost that much, its a hypothetical that makes for some round numbers. But since it has lost close to 20% from the start of the year, do you think random players (not 2+2ers) would play, say, 5/10 limit now when they would've played 4/8 in January?

Also I realize thats a 25% jump in stakes, but I'm just trying to illustrate.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 PM

no
Old 10-13-2007, 02:58 AM

The USD has dropped 25% compared to Euro over the past 1,5 year. And most europeans players got their bankroll in USD on poker accounts or in ecash accounts so moving up is out of the question.
For recreational players who only deposit once in a while its another story.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:50 PM

the usd has definitely dropped that much in the past couple of years. A CDN dollar used to be worth 64 cents US, now its worth 1.02$ USD. Thats not much different than what the OP is asking