[ QUOTE ]
god i just bought a ps3 and theres no games i even want for it

[/ QUOTE ]

But I bet it looks good? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: ps3 appreciation

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think you'll agree that the market conditions for the PS2 and PS3 launches differ quite dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure? They were both hyped, both late, both promised more machines than they produced, both had excellent games promised for launch but missed by a few months to a year.

[ QUOTE ]
They're both going to miss the 2007 Christmas season.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what, if they get them right. They are still going to be great and I'm glad I have the PS3 for these games alone.

Also, resistance is a fun game to play w/ great graphics, who cares if it isn't the 'halo' of PS3, it's still great and I'm happy w/ my purchase. Not to mention I use my machine as a Linux box, dvd player, blue ray player, mp3 player and cd player for a great multimedia system.

[/ QUOTE ]

First and foremost, I am more of a Nintendo fanboy, but I try to be objective.

PS3 and PS2 launches were vastly different. PS2 was launched BEFORE the other two consoles, not late as you said. The PS2 got off to the best start in video game history with an enormous launch and basically won the console race that generation before it even started.

This time around PS3 is coming late to the party with stronger competition from Xbox. It's launch was mostly successful, but nothing like PS2 and sales are rapidly dropping off.

Now I'm not saying that PS3 isn't going to be great and have some fantastic games at one point, but the same could be said of N64 which was considered a failure by many. You personally may enjoy the console like I enjoyed my N64, but it could still have horrible implications for Sony and its future in this business. I hope they do well so that competition remains strong, but I have serious doubts.

The problem lies in the downward spiral effect. You need to sell consoles to attract developers and keep them around. You also need to sell consoles so you have a large installer base and can drop the price of the console. The PS3 really needs to drop the price, but cannot because they are losing approx. $200 per console sold. They are starting to really lag in sales, some developers are making decisions to switch away from or make things non exclusive and then less people are attracted. Less people buy, the console can't drop in price as fast, less people buy, less developers. Death spiral.

PS3 still has plenty of time to pull out of the spiral, but at the moment it just doesn't look that good. Hardware sales, software sales and developers all show trends in the industry that tell a story of whats going on. Things in all three catagories are starting to show struggle [not enormous, but some]. Nintendo, on the other hand, as an example, is showing positives in all three of these areas. Sales are going up, people are buying more, more developers are jumping on and they can definitely drop the price as soon as they want to. Things can certainly change, but if history is an indicator, reversing trends in the video game industry can be very very difficult in one generation. Those killer apps coming out later rather than sooner may be too late if the death spiral is in full gear.

I hope that all consoles do well though for the sake of an industry I really like and am interested in.

edit to add: http://www.vgchartz.com is the best source I have found for looking up all these sales numbers and such.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:12 AM

just wanted to jump into this discussion...

both of my brothers own an xbox 360 (older bro just moved out a month ago) and i've enjoyed the xbox 360 a lot. gears of war was cool, i enjoyed guitar hero 2, and a few other games.

currently i have no console and even when i had access to my bro's 360, i didn't play a lot.

i'm thinking of getting a PS3 because of the overall value i would gain from it. my biggest selling point is blu-ray. blu-ray movies would look pretty sweet on my lcd tv.

i owned a ps1 and ps2 AND PSP (play everyday on my way to work), why not get a ps3?

mind you, gaming is not my #1 priority in the purchase of a ps3, am i crazy?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:44 AM

Love how the debate got so detailed.

I have been fortunate enough to enjoy both worlds of Microsoft and Sony - I don't know what it is but personally I feel that the games on the PS2 had a greater element of personal involvement whereas games, exclusive to the X-Box like Halo, lack that element of personal involvement necessary for good game addiction. It appears unfortunate that the lack of software will seriously limit the PS 3's development.

What gamers want is Escapism and that's what a console should be able to provide. I think Nintendo are the best for involving you in other worlds whether it be Link's or Mario's, etc. I like the innovation of the Wii but don't know if Nintndo will reach teh peak days of console high as it did with the SNES.

Just a few thoughts [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just wanted to jump into this discussion...

both of my brothers own an xbox 360 (older bro just moved out a month ago) and i've enjoyed the xbox 360 a lot. gears of war was cool, i enjoyed guitar hero 2, and a few other games.

currently i have no console and even when i had access to my bro's 360, i didn't play a lot.

i'm thinking of getting a PS3 because of the overall value i would gain from it. my biggest selling point is blu-ray. blu-ray movies would look pretty sweet on my lcd tv.

i owned a ps1 and ps2 AND PSP (play everyday on my way to work), why not get a ps3?

mind you, gaming is not my #1 priority in the purchase of a ps3, am i crazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine and i love it. Between the Blu Rays, Upscaling and Resistance im happy. Throw in the good line up for the rest of the year and Warhawk dropping, i would agree you should get one.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:58 PM

not to mention some of the few PS3 only style titles, you know there will be a GoW 3 on that bad boy, Metal Gear will look cool on the PS3 and FF of course. Think I will get one, based on the overall value I would gain.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 PM

I'm also in the middle of trying to figure out which system to purchase as I only want to buy one. There have been some great points here for both sides, but I'm leaning towards the 360 just because when i buy one of the systems its to play games... and it seems like ps3 doesnt have that many titles that I'd be interested in and the big games like GoW 3 just havent come out yet and wont be out for a while. That said I own a ps2 and I love it, i think the ps2 is a million times better than the regular xbox just because of all the excellent games that I enjoy.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a regular guy that doesnt know anything about developing games or blu ray/HD stuff or anything like that and because of that I base my decision on which games I'd like to play. I think most people who go and buy one of these systems are like me, they just dont know a lot about the spec's or development involved and theyre decisions will be based on which games they want to play. With that in mind it seems to me that the ps3 is in big trouble and I hope it can turn things around.