Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 03:17 AM

Default NLTRN guidelines for 3-betting or calling 3-bet pf?

I noticed that in the latest couple of threads there has been talk about 3-betting pf with a good hand (AJ for instance). I went through my PokerTracker and noticed that I three-bet very rarely (about once every 400 hands). I don't like to put too big portion of my chips preflop because I might be forced to fold on the flop when I don't hit.

What kinds of hand ranges do you have for 3-betting and how often would you do it as a bluff ?

Another question: what hand ranges do you use to call/reraise a 3-bet ?

Please consider different scenarios (both players have stacks around 1500) for blinds of 10/20 or 30/60 when oop or in position (after the flop)

Here is my thinking:
When the blinds are low 10/20 I would be inclided not to 3-bet even with good hands, because I might be able to use opponents aggression to get more chips in when I hit the flop. Especially in the case he is very aggressive and I have position.

When the blinds are higher 30/60 I would be still a little reluctant to 3-bet pf with hand like AJ, because if my opponent pushes I am not sure where I am. With AJ might be inclinded to call the push, because theres so much in the pot already (I am probably getting odds around of 2:1). However in my thinking, why would I want to risk a coinflip (if I am against a pocket pair), if I think I have edge playing post-flop (I have position for instance) ?
Old 09-11-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: NLTRN guidelines for 3-betting or calling 3-bet pf?

If you are playing against weak opponents at lower stakes, I agree with your reasoning for not 3 betting a lot. However, your postflop edge decreases when you move up and you have to be afraid that when you reraise with AA, you won't get played with. So you have to open you reraising range. At lower stakes, your strategy might be good. I have a wide 3 bet range, but I play more cash games, so someone else will give you advice on that.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Yes, I am playing at lower stakes and that has probably shaped my view on the 3 betting.

Your reasoning on 3-betting being more important on higher stakes where the post-flop edge is not as significant thus sounds reasonable. I am planning to raise stakes so I might end up needing to add 3betting to my arsenal [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

What kind of range would you consider normal for opponent on your level to have for 3betting ?

If you do 3betting as 'bluffs', with what kinds of hands do you bluff 3bet with? Is it better to 3-bet bluff with hands the from the worst part of handrange (like 42 or 32) or from the midrange ?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:24 PM

So often you'll get 4-bet all in with a worse hand, I think it really pays to 3-bet only your premium hands against 95% of the players you play at lower stakes husngs.

When you run into the rare tight-weak player that raise/folds a ton preflop, you can start to mix in 3-bet bluffs with suited connectors and such. Or just play another 2+2er, they generally fold to at least half your PF 3-bets [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 09-11-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you do 3betting as 'bluffs', with what kinds of hands do you bluff 3bet with? Is it better to 3-bet bluff with hands the from the worst part of handrange (like 42 or 32) or from the midrange ?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great question .

You can bluff 3-bet with any two random cards if the timing is right . I usually prefer mine to be suited but I do NOT believe that you should only 3 bet bluff with suited connectors .

I would fear an opponent who is capable of playing any two cards as if they are aces than an opponent who would only play suited connectors as aces .
Old 09-11-2007, 03:50 PM

jayshark is right. It is said that you raise light. For example, if you folded a lot for a certain time because you were cold deck and the other guy raises, contemplate a reraise light, with just about any two cards. Your image is tight and you can use that to your advantage. But you need timing and the right villain for this.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:02 PM

It is a timing vs opponent issue.

At lower stakes (I play at 11s) this is a great setup for them to try to push you off your hands. Some players shove with all sorts of crap to slow you down.

Interesting about AJ, that it is a deadly hand to hold in Full Ring, but a great hand to hold in HU.

Once every 400 hands? You get Aces once every 221 and kings once every 221 and queens once every 221 and... well you get the point. It is highly unlikely that you should be frightened of PF raises, chances are they are weak enough to make 3 betting AJ valuable.

And what every one else said too.

I do have a question for Jay Shark. If a player is able to 3 bet with a range of say any two suited connectors, one gapper, two suited broadways, and all pp 99+, would this be a random enough range, gt-wise, to confuse your opponent?

Obviously if you are able to take way too many free pots (I know, not possible), then yes, you should open a bit more.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:27 PM

I think this is a reasonable range to confuse your opponents . You may be able to do even better if you add any two random cards into the mix . However , it's important that you do this with the right frequency against THAT particular opponent .

ie , if an opponent will fold 50% of the time against your 3bet , then you can profit(or break even) from this play with any two cards !!

Button(villain) raises to 3bb , hero re-raises to 10 bb's and wins one fourth of the time when called (for simplicity , neither player puts in a single dime on the flop)

EV(hero) = 4*1/2 + 1/2*[11*1/4 - 9*3/4] =0 which means you break even .

This play can success with any cards . In fact , if you have this information on this player , then you may be able to exploit him by re-raising with 7-2 as long as he will fold to your 3 bets 50% of the time .

**Warning**

At some point your opponent will catch on and he will start to call your re-raises more liberally .