Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanal...p;amp;cm_ite=NA

So based on a rough check, EMC as a stand alone company is valued at 12.5 billion with earnings of 1.22 billion last year. Is there some obvious way of profiting off this that im missing? Like short VMware and buy EMC or what?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM

Wheeee this is fun. I'm in your short term club, Shoe

Unloved post
LWAY: recommended 8/30 @ 13.75... 10/11 @ 19.25 = +40.00%
.... bought at 6.20 3 years ago
TTWO: recommended 8/30 @ 15.23... 10/11 @ 19.01 = +24.81%
.... bought at ~12 a month or so before
Variance
JBX: recommended 9/12 @ 58.20... 10/11 @ 67.63 = +16.20%
bought @ 58.20

LWAY and JBX are good stocks, but the short term gains are mostly variance, I can't take credit for that. But TTWO I take full credit for - I am beating the market with it because the market was stupid a few months ago. My investing style is contrarian and value based, and I invest in only a few select companies at any one time - why take the whole market when opportunities like TTWO pop up?

Anyway, 46% annualized returns for the past 3 years (my entire investing experience), I'll enjoy it until I return to more mortal figures [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2007, 01:01 PM

two 10%+ gainers today! vlcm and gigm...though gigm is annoying because it's just on a lame bear sterns initiated coverage at outperform. i'm sure at somepoint they'll downgrade to "market perform" and it will give all the gains back.

James
Old 10-11-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
two 10%+ gainers today! vlcm and gigm...though gigm is annoying because it's just on a lame bear sterns initiated coverage at outperform. i'm sure at somepoint they'll downgrade to "market perform" and it will give all the gains back.

James

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't believe I didn't give vlcm a look when my brother brought home a nice pair of Volcom t-shirts. Peter Lynch is def going to be disappointed in me.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't believe I didn't give vlcm a look when my brother brought home a nice pair of Volcom t-shirts. Peter Lynch is def going to be disappointed in me.

[/ QUOTE ]

for some reason when you wrote volcom I thought it was capcom, maker of streetfighter. I was gonna call your bro a nerd but luckily I googled it first [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 10-11-2007, 02:57 PM

I love how the market pushed and pushed and then the news of foreclosures doubled and the market just dropped dead.

If the market is efficient, shouldn't the news of the country's [censored]-up subprime and housing situation already being priced into the stock? Also, considering that Realty Trac Inc. released this foreclosure information, can't their family members and friends go short whatever stocks that were gaining 10%+ before the release? Yes, inside trading is illegal but one executive can just set up an email list of family members and friends and a few random people and spam everyone giving stock tips such as "if stocks are making a run after listening to Wal-Mart's forecast, Realty Trac will make sure to keep the market "efficient."
Old 10-11-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how the market pushed and pushed and then the news of foreclosures doubled and the market just dropped dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries. That will give the Fed an excuse to cut rates again. See you at gold $1000 in 2008.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:00 PM

Yay Costco. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

That is all.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If the market is efficient, shouldn't the news of the country's [censored]-up subprime and housing situation already being priced into the stock? Also, considering that Realty Trac Inc. released this foreclosure information, can't their family members and friends go short whatever stocks that were gaining 10%+ before the release? Yes, inside trading is illegal but one executive can just set up an email list of family members and friends and a few random people and spam everyone giving stock tips such as "if stocks are making a run after listening to Wal-Mart's forecast, Realty Trac will make sure to keep the market "efficient."

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me go ahead and say I was a lot more excited about my 10% gainers when i was +2% for my portfolio today than now, when I am -.8%.

James
Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me go ahead and say I was a lot more excited about my 10% gainers when i was +2% for my portfolio today than now, when I am -.8%.

James

[/ QUOTE ]
James,

Just think how much your portfolio would've been down if it wasn't for those 10% gainers.
Closed Thread