Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

Gold at $785. If it goes to $1000 before July 1st 2008, Barron owes me $500. Going to spend that money on a hooker on his dime.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 PM

grizwold thanks, thats a pretty good explanation. it was the only question I missed on the test so no biggie, but im happier now understanding why. And I believe PB is correct, that the correlation will be 0 as long as the both go up on up days and down on down days but that doesnt necessarily mean they have the same SD. (not sure if thats right)
Old 10-27-2007, 01:39 AM

wtf i've found a stock with an 18 % dividend...how?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you looked for it and found it? j/k

Which stock?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 AM

I just got my first issue of The Economist, "Lessons from the credit crunch." I'm a week behind because I didn't get it until yesterday when it was in my mail at home on Monday. Great magazine! I've been reading it every chance that I get.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol yeah and i bet you can find a ton of REITs right now with similar distributions, doesn't make it a good investment.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:07 PM

I don't want to start a new thread, and I don't know where to put this question, so I'll just ask in here.

When we are talking about Euros and we have to talk in Euro dollars and cents, how would you say Euro $1.42? Is it 1 Euro Dollar and 42 Euro Cents? 1 Euro Dollar and 42 cents? or any other variation?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol yeah and i bet you can find a ton of REITs right now with similar distributions, doesn't make it a good investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor does that alone (the high dividend) make it a poor investment, shipping stocks are great examples of extremely high yielding stocks that have historically been great investments with dividend yields as high as 15%

Jimbo
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 PM

I've been reading the quarterly report, and there are definite issues with the company so it isn't as simple as an unnoticed ridic dividend.

Its a canadian income trust on the TSE exchange with the ticker CUS.UN. It will be affected by the new income trust legislation that comes in 2011, and thus have to pay income tax after that, though depending on how they treat their dividend payouts (if any of course) after that the after tax returns for an investor should remain somewhere around the same. It produces sodium chlorate and a few other chemicals for pulp production. Their business is of course going to be negatively affected by the Increasing Canadian dollar, but they have bought options to hedge, and switched most of their debt to american dollars (back when it was at 0.92 cents) and canadian manufacturers account for over 2/3rds of sodium chlorate production so some of the appreciation of the dollar will be taken up by price increases for US buyers of the chemical. They have also had to deal with a number of what seem to be one time issues like a repair issue at one of their plants etc.

They pay the dividend every month and it works out to about 86 cents a year if i remember correctly. I still don't understand completely how to value stocks and completely understand balance sheets so i'm still sticking with my etfs, but i thought it was an interesting stock that could have some possibilities. I just don't have the confidence to give it a solid valuation.

If anyone takes a look at their quarterly reports feel free to correct anything i've said as i'm really just trying to learn here.

Also, anyone know a good resource for me to learn everything i need to know about balance sheets. Would it be worth it for me to take an Accounting class that focuses on that or something? I don't mind just buying a textbook tho and reading it instead of actually wasting time in a class.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 AM

hey guys,
Im the definition of an investment-noob, but I have some money, that I dont want to have uselessly sitting at my bank - so I figured Im just gonna start here and ask some questions:
as I looked around the forum, I found out, that the main advice for noobs like me is to invest in some index-fonds. and thats what I was planning to do.
but then I didnt know which investor/broker to choose - I dont just want somebody to invest for me, I want the ability to trade by myself over my internet-connection, especially as I hope to consistently gain knowledge and experience. so what would be my best option to do so (Im living in germany, that may be something to consider.)?
then I plan to simply put 90% in some index-fonds and 10% in some stocks.
but another thing that concerns me is the rumour of an upcoming downswing of the whole market. I mean it has been rising incredibly high over the years. therefore Im afraid that it starts dropping now that I start investing and that my market-oriented index-fonds will drop and I lose money. would it be more reasonable to just put my money on a bank-account for ~4% interest. can someone like me earn money at the financial market at the moment and the middle-term (1-2 years: maybe long-term for the market reconsodered) future?
sorry about that post, but I would be happy about any constructive answer.
thx
Closed Thread