Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: But you have to!

[ QUOTE ]
KotOD,

I'm just curious: Why do you and your wife have no interest in Europe? Have you visited countries there before and just want a change of pace, or have you universally written off the entire continent (which is incredibly diverse from country to country, obviously) for some specific reason? It seems kind of strange to say, "Neither of us has any interest in going to Europe," when there are so many unique vacation options there.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me there is no specific reason other than when I look at a map to make a list of destinations, the only European country that makes the top 10 is Iceland. There are so many other places I'd rather go - Alaska, Argentina, Botswana, Peru, South Africa, Vietnam; and my wife would rather go: Brazil, Chile, Egypt, Indonesia (Bali), Japan - that Europe never makes the short list.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wife: "We've tried a number of dishes, we've dined at KotoD's Indian co-workers homes before, we just don't like it, sorry."

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW a lot of the food Indians cook at home for themselves is pretty intense and unpalatable for non-Indians. There's a big difference between that and food from Indian restaurants.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've had both and aren't wild about either. I'll devour any type of food except Indian cuisine and the cabbage-fueled blech of eastern europe.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 AM

Where I come from this is known as food or travel rape, and the best rapists are celebrated in song and with parades where rival camps burn their opponents in effigy while trying to convince passers-by that the A&E Pride and Prejudice is much better than the Keira Knightly version.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where I come from this is known as food or travel rape, and the best rapists are celebrated in song and with parades where rival camps burn their opponents in effigy while trying to convince passers-by that the A&E Pride and Prejudice is much better than the Keira Knightly version.

[/ QUOTE ]

You come from The Lounge?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM

OP-- I typically don't nit about things like this, but your friends do sound a little over-the-top. Seems like they need to learn to suggest, not insist. Politely telling them so will likely do the trick.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Situations like this are where my lack of tact prove beneficial. For instance, I would have just laughed at someone suggesting I visit Croatia.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me: "Yeah, my wife and I are thinking about taking another big trip next fall. We love Central America but want to go somewhere else. Neither of us have any interest in Europe and no way in hell am I spending a day on a plane to Australia or New Zealand, so we're considering Chile, Argentina, Peru and I'm trying to talk her into South Africa and that bush lodge that we were talking about."

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't a flight to South Africa be just as long as a flight to Australia?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You need to learn to be way more accomodating with your words and then do whatever you want. I learned a long time ago that if you simply agree with people, then they're satisfied. Admittedly doesn't work so well when some guy is trying to cram his fillet down your throat, but may work with your co-worker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I realize that I could have said "You know, I'll do some research on Tuscany" and ended it, and my wife could have said "We've already got plans", rather than being the Indian cuisine buzzkill, but I don't know how my friend could have been accommodating while trying to avoid being force-fed a coconut cake. Nor do I know how my wife could have been more accommodating while trying to avoid being force-fed a steak.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ex-girlfriend used to just tell people she was allergic to avoid being pressured into eating stuff. So that coconut cake conversation would've gone something like:

"Hey, you want coconut cake?"
"No thanks, I'm allergic."
"That's too bad."

or if they're really over-the-top,

"No thanks, I'm allergic."
"That's too bad. It's REAAAAAALLLY good."
"Yeah, it won't be for me."
"Oh man!! I think if I were allergic to this, I'd kill myself"
"Hopefully you develop this allergy in the next 5 seconds."
Old 09-26-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Co-worker: "Italy is better than Chile."

[/ QUOTE ]

You: "But staplers are better than polyester."
Co-worker: "What?"
You: "Huh?"
Co-worker: ....
You: "Big Gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later."

And don't worry KotOD, you can't get a place in Tuscany anyway.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP-- I typically don't nit about things like this, but your friends do sound a little over-the-top. Seems like they need to learn to suggest, not insist. Politely telling them so will likely do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing, these people aren't even friends! I wouldn't mind a friend being especially pushy about stuff, and if they were, I'd most likely pay attention to what they are saying - I trust their judgment in most cases.

Another example: My boss and I just went to grab takeout for lunch today. I brought this subject up and he went off. He doesn't like spicy foods. He never had them when he was a kid and never developed a taste for them. He also has gastrointestinal issues when he eats spicy foods, so he avoids them. He said that he has this problem about twice a month because people are constantly trying to get him to eat spicy things. Last week, he was visiting a vendor's facility in Florida and the management team took him to dinner. Two guys in the party kept insisting that he eat a spicy shrimp dish even after telling them that he has stomach issues with spicy foods. It took him a half-dozen denials before they gave up.