Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Scramble Strategy

Out of the Scramble thread about hurting or helping your game there has been some conversation about where to put the ringer in the lineup. I thought a new thread might be interesting.

In the groups that I normally put together, we go with a strategy that stacks up like this:

Off of the tee we lead off with the guy that is hitting the ball straight. Normally, in my groups, that's me. I'm 230-250 with 81% fairways this year so it gets a ball in play almost every time. I'll normally put the weakest guy off of the tee next because if your leadoff guy strokes it - #2 can do whatever he wants. If leadoff misses it, it doesn't matter if #2 misses because there are two more behind. We try to put our biggest hitter #3 and our most creative player #4. With a ball in play #3 can rip it. If we need a save at the end (which should be rare in this setup) the creative player doesn't necessarily have to hit driver and can just get one in the fairway.

On fairway play and approaches, we leadoff with our most consistent distance irons player. We want the guy that hits his 5 Iron 195 every time so that we can all club off of him to get a better reading on the yardage. #2 is again our weakest irons player. We try to reserve #4 for someone in the group that hits higher approaches, just to allow them to see the balls in play and go straight for the pin.

In the short game, the only thing that we make sure of is that our most creative guy is last so that he gets a look at lines and speed and if possible, go for the cup.

On the green, our best putter always leads off. He's going to see the line the best and he's going to be able to get the tempo closer than anyone else. We keep going first to worst, closing with our worst putter and allowing him the benefit of seeing the putts before him. We're not big believers in the "let me see a line" theory for good putters. It's a waste of a putt to "get one close" for the benefit of the group. They normally see the line immediately and can try to hole out. If not, each weaker putter behind can glean information from the collection of putts in front of him.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Scramble Strategy

That does sound like a good strategy.

On some holes you will have a decision to make whether to lay up or go for it. In that case I would take the shorter hitters as #1 and #2 and with a ball safe layed up, then have the longer hitters left to go for it. As it often does not matter that much when you lay up if you are 150 or 170 to the green, it does not matter that much if the not so precise or consistent players make a so-so lay up a bit short, you still have the opportunity to go for it if it is just a decent lay up they have made.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:37 PM

KotOD,

It sounds like you have some sort of barnstorming scramble team, traveling the nation in a Winnebago to compete in hit-and-giggles all over the country. Sort of like a golf version of the Globetrotters. Starring Straight Guy, Weakest Guy, Big Hitter, and Creative Player.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KotOD,

It sounds like you have some sort of barnstorming scramble team, traveling the nation in a Winnebago to compete in hit-and-giggles all over the country. Sort of like a golf version of the Globetrotters. Starring Straight Guy, Weakest Guy, Big Hitter, and Creative Player.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, that was my impression as well - a highly specialized team. I've only played a few scrambles, and it's usually a couple guys who shoot in the 80's - and a couple guys who are pretty bad at all aspects of the game.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KotOD,

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, well kind of. I play in about 10 scrambles a year and the rest of the team is always made up of a pool of the same 8 guys.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 PM

You keep track of your exact fairways hit percentage?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You keep track of your exact fairways hit percentage?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10865906
Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM

I think it's good to mix it up a bit- especially on the green.
If the first few guys make a few in a row, the last one or two may go an hour or more without hitting a meaningful putt.
Also, I want the guy that WANTS to putt last to do so most of the time. Some people putt better when they have a security blanket behind them, and some putt better when they know it's the last putt.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:19 PM

don't agree with putting strategy at all. For the first putter, you want someone who won't hit it through the break so you can get a good read. have you best putter putt last so he can the benefits of 3 different looks at the putt.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:21 PM

I'm a great putter, and very good at reading greens, but I still like having a decent putter go ahead of me (obv I help with reading the putt) to allow me to see if there are any surprises with the way it rolls...I think it's slightly a waste to put the best putter first in case something like this happens.