Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Re: calling a cap preflop

As I see it KJo is hand that will win a little money in a capped pot and has the potential to loose a lot. It has reverse implied odds in this spot and I don't think it is a mistake to fold. It is dominated from all most cappingrange hands: AK, AQ, KK, AA,in lesser degree KQ, AJ. Even QQ, and JJ leaves us with only 3 outs which may be dead to due to domination from the other opponent. We can hope that both are raising with pairs under TT, but what are the odds?? Low enough. And if we get attacked during the hand we might fold it anyway.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:38 AM

KJo was a big winner UTG in my now passed away 700k hand DB.

It depends a lot on the rake and the players behind you. If you guys fold or call indiscriminately without regarding this you are making bad plays once in a while.

FWIW I play KTo UTG as a default at 5/10+. At 3/6 and below I would fold KTo as a default and only play KJo when I havent got a bunch of loose players with position on me.

@ OP

getting back to your question. I dont have any clear answers for you as I suck at this spot as well. But the thing we need to consider is the stats I suppose

- HJ is 50/30 or maniac and CO is tough LAGTAG who knows this. In this case I think I call. CO is capping light here and HJ is gonna be money postflop. I think I call my entire UTG range here

- HJ is TAG and CO is non maniac. Now I fold and I would consider folding KQo as well. Prolly calling any pair and any suited broadway and AQo. But I really dunno
Old 11-23-2007, 08:15 AM

fooooold.

edit: oh my, some of you guys fold KJo utg? wow. Where is NateThaGreat to talk about high card strength.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:57 AM

I used to fold those kind of hands for 2 more thinking that I was often dominated, but a tough mid-high player told me I should be continuing because all too often I will up against Ax and a PP or Ax and Ax where we will often have our full outs

depends on villains ranges of course, how many of the weaker Ax hands and small-mid PPs will they have versus how many premiums that dominate us. in a CO-button-SB or button-SB-BB situation playing vs LAGs/LAGTAGs they have a wide enough range to be continuing for the reason I mentioned above

in the situation you describe I think it is a fold vs anyone but serious LAGs. people don't get out of line too much facing raises/3bets from early position
Old 11-23-2007, 12:02 PM

if it's 6 handed, just fold PF to begin with, and this won't happen.

but seriously, reads do matter in most cases, but with this hand, whatever your opponents are, you should fold to the cap, or fold PF the first time, here's why.

1. If you have maniac/crazy players 3 betting and capping, so you think you should call because they have QTo and whatnot, you should fold PF in the first place, because KJo doesn't play that well if you have 60/30's behind you.

2. IF you raise UTG at a tight table, and 2 passives/tags 3bet and cap, you should fold, because overpairs are probably out, and it's over.

I haven't raised KJo utg in months now, all it does it add to variance.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't raised KJo utg in months now, all it does it add to variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Filtered for UTG:

Old 11-23-2007, 08:48 PM

this shows pretty clearly that the samples aren't big enough since you're losing more than double with KJo vs. KTo and just completely crushing KJo's performance with KQo.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this shows pretty clearly that the samples aren't big enough since you're losing more than double with KJo vs. KTo and just completely crushing KJo's performance with KQo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also need to factor in the VPIP. I didn't filter for 'raised first in'.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:40 AM

so if this is UTG why is pfr % not 100% for KJo and KTo, you arent limping this UTG are you, because that would be terrible
Old 11-24-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so if this is UTG why is pfr % not 100% for KJo and KTo, you arent limping this UTG are you, because that would be terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's folding (VPIP=PFR).