Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1

I would put it at [JJ-22,A2s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,T9s,98s,87s,76s,65s,AQo-A3o,KTo+,QJo,JTo]

Without a read it's very unlikely someone would limp AA-QQ from a late position; early position maybe.

A standard raise will probably be the consensus at this point. A good chance CO will fold.

I don't know MJ's game at all so I'll just assume they're thinking solid players.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know MJ's game at all so I'll just assume they're thinking solid players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good player. Well respected. If you google him you can see his history.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good player. Well respected. If you google him you can see his history.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could mean alot of things, couldn't it? Daniel is a very good player and well respected, but his style is definitely different than Dan Harrington's who is also very good and well respected. From this perspective, MJ is Dan Harrington minus a few points of trickiness.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:28 AM

i agree with the raise to 450 but i dont agree with the hand range you suggested exit.
the CO suppose to be very tight ,and the range you selected is not a range of tight player.
depedning if the CO is trapping or not :
not trapping [AQ-AT suited or not,KQ-KT suited or not,55-99]
trapping [AA-TT,AK-AJ] so all and all i think the hand range is [AA-55,AK-AT,KQ-KT suited or not] .
seen as we have no ther information about CO apart from the fact that his tight i think a raise so 450 is enough to get some more info about our players.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the CO suppose to be very tight ,and the range you selected is not a range of tight player.
depedning if the CO is trapping or not :

[/ QUOTE ]

Tight doesn't mean he doesn't play suited connecctors...

especially when folded to him in the CO. Even tight players here could have lots of hands.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:51 PM

raise to 500..even the stack
Old 09-19-2005, 12:37 AM

Hero is on the button and should take advantage of his position, but the opener has a tighter range. Therefore I would be more tempted to flat call.

I would put villain on AA-55, AK/AT, Broadway suited connectors and speculative hands. Our range is a slight dog but our positional advantage makes up for it a little in that we can selectively "float" villain on board textures where it's called for.

Another thing to consider, however, is the effects of the flat call on the players in the blinds. Flat calling is going to encourage players like Miami John to come along or even reraise, whereas a preflop reraise will generally get it heads-up.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is on the button and should take advantage of his position, but the opener has a tighter range. Therefore I would be more tempted to flat call.

I would put villain on AA-55, AK/AT, Broadway suited connectors and speculative hands. Our range is a slight dog but our positional advantage makes up for it a little in that we can selectively "float" villain on board textures where it's called for.

Another thing to consider, however, is the effects of the flat call on the players in the blinds. Flat calling is going to encourage players like Miami John to come along or even reraise, whereas a preflop reraise will generally get it heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know CO just limped right?

edit: and i change what i said, a bigger raise is better... like 550 shouhld be good.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:42 AM

whooooops. sry im tired.

raise to like 550ish.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:38 AM

I call because

1) Our hand plays well multiway, so I don't see much of a need to push out the blinds.
2) Perhaps the most important fact is that our stack size is huge, so we don't need the blinds and won't be anywhere near committing ourself if we're behind.
3) CO limp is suspicious, so we could be behind--we'll certainly have to fold to a limp reraise.
4) The blinds know that CO limp is suspicious, so they likely won't raise with hands that are worse than ours and scare us out.
5) We have position, which will make this marginal hand much easier to play postflop.
6) The flop is coming AAJ, and CO has JJ.