Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 PM

Default investor/finance fake job ideas please

hello finance/investing peoples , i need your help in my quest to find a fake job. i'm a poker pro but for many reasons i don't tell that to anyone outside our little world. instead i've been telling people i'm still a student but i'm tired of that plus i'm 27 and it's probably starting to look ''a little'' suspicious . so my best bet is probably something finance related... it would have to be similar to poker to explain my schedule, something mobile and freelance that can be done online and without actually working for/with a company . so what kind of job fits this description ? i mean it has to make sense for someone my age and i don't want to look like a stock market genius, i think it's better to make it sound like a grind so it's easier to sell. if you can help with this could you please give me some tips or links about the job, i'd like to learn about it so i don't look like an idiot when i meet someone in the business. tytyty.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: investor/finance fake job ideas please

Say you're in internet marketing

Nobody asks anything else...ever
Old 11-17-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say you're in internet marketing

Nobody asks anything else...ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good to me
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2007, 02:18 AM

ok so what would my job title be and what would i be doing exactly? any good links? what's the easiest form of internet marketing? would i need my own site? i found a few links but not very helpful, just some loose definitions... i don't have to know everything, just the basics so i'll know in case anyone ever gets curious. thanks.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:41 AM

say you are a webmaster of adult internet sites.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:18 AM

risk management
equity analyst
Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok so what would my job title be and what would i be doing exactly? any good links? what's the easiest form of internet marketing? would i need my own site? i found a few links but not very helpful, just some loose definitions... i don't have to know everything, just the basics so i'll know in case anyone ever gets curious. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found that when you're in a position where you're compelled to lie, it's best to have the lie be as close as possible to the truth.

So, what you could do is say that you do internet marketing for an online gaming site, like Stars, and that you get a commission for everyone you sign up. It could also be an online brokerage firm like Scottrade.

I've found that people who ask too many nosey questions don't like it when you turn the tables and put the magnifying glass on them. So, if someone is persisting with the questions, start asking them about their work. They'll get the hint.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:16 PM

I don't see why you need to lie.

My suggestion though would be to simply say your a consultant. I'd say at least half the people in my building are consultants and I don't have a clue what most of them do.

Most people don't really want to discuss what you do for a living. They ask to make small talk or to judge you. If you keep it short they will move on.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM

Henry, I can say from personal experience that it becsomes a huge nuisance to say you're a professional poker player. To some people you have to explain what that means and then deal with "but you gamble, eventually you will lose it all!" speeches. Alot of guys think its cool but then you end up in a 30 minute conversation at the party hearing about this guys 10+1 sit n' go last night when you just want to go over and talk to the hot chick. Then the question of how much you can actually make comes up. Tell the truth and they think you lie or are bragging. If that question comes up I jst say its very profitable and leave it at that but I think im going to start taking the OPs approach soon, so much easier.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:14 PM

I agree somewhat and have had some similar experiences but I just shut them down. If they start talking about poker I just tell them I deal with poker enough and this is my downtime so I would prefer to not talk about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Then the question of how much you can actually make comes up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe people have the lack of class to ask this but they do. People know better then to ask me so now they ask my GF.

I understand the desire to lie in this situation. I can't count the number of times people have asked me "If I gave you money how much could you make me?" or people who comp my bill at their restaurant then try to get picks out of me. It is annoying and awkward and I've stopped going to certain places to avoid.

That being said if you lie about it they are going to find out eventually. My general approach with people who I'm rarely going to see is just to deflect the question. If they have any social skills they won't really push it and I end up avoiding the conversation without lying (mind you this has also led a lot of people to think I'm a drug dealer).