Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Good, Deep, Fantasy/Sci-Fi Series (for Older Readers)

Susan R. Matthews wrote a pretty interesting series of books I think are called the 'Jurisdiction' series . . . I enjoyed them a lot.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, another one. Bernard Cornwell's retelling of the King Arthur story is phenomenal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love anything by Stephen Brust, especially the Vlad Taltos stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I have every book, and while I love the Vlad stuff, Phoenix Guards/500 Years After gets re-read more than the Vlad books for some reaosn for me.

Ray
Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, another one. T.H. White's retelling of the King Arthur story is phenomenal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 PM

i'm really surprised no one has mentioned The Illuminatus Trilogy. i guess it's a little marginal as sci-fi (is there a special category for conpsiracy theory fiction?), but it is both highly entertaining and mind-expanding, as any good sci-fi work should be.
<font color="white">fnord</font>
i grew up reading Stephen King so i may not be the most objective critic, but The Dark Tower is, on the whole, quite terrific. he wrote most of the first book (_the gunslinger)_ in college, so it is quite a bit different from the style he would develop during his early career. this may explain why many posters here don't seem to like it as much. i agree that the ending is kinda meh.

books 2-4 (_drawing of the three_, _waste lands_, and _wizard and glass_), however, are particularly awesome.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GRRM needs to hurry up and release the next book in the Fire and Ice series. He's being a huge [censored] by putting it off for so long. Its going to turn out like the Dark Tower series. Speaking of Dark Tower, its a shame you didn't put it on the list, I think its really good, although I didn't finish it. I heard the ending is kind of lame and some of the stuff S. King does (like put himself in the books) is pretty retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really enjoyed the first 5 books in the Darktower series and then he goes and writes a so-so sixth book. The seventh book was so bad it made me wish Stephen 'sorry ass' King had actually died in that car crash he was in that motivated him to complete the series. At least then I could have imagined a good ending to the series on my own.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 AM

Why are people surprised when they're the first to mention something. It's not like we can read every single book out there.

Still, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this thread. So many interesting suggestions to choose from. Thanks guys.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dark Tower Series by Steven King might be the best book series I've ever read.

Book 1 would be the worst of the series and a turn off to some but mark my words this is the best book series of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. The last book in the series was so bad I cursed Stephen King for all the time I wasted on the entire series, especially rereading the earlier ones in anticipation of upcoming releases. What a colossal waste of time. It was so bad I refuse to ever read another Stephen King book.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 AM

Book 1 of the Dark Tower was awesome if only because we saw a lot of dialogue from Cort:

"Speak the High Speech. Speak your act of contrition in the speech of civilization for which better men than you will ever be have died, maggot."

Wizard in Glass was my favorite in that series though.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:57 AM

The Takeshi Kovacs series (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies) by Richard Morgan is good sci-fi. I don't know if it's particularly deep, but it's definitely adult, if only because of the fairly extreme levels of violence in it, and I think he's a good writer. He has an ear for dialog, which is important in this kind of thing. They're detective noir/cyberpunk/military scifi thrillers. Altered Carbon is far and away the best, but Woken Furies is quite good too. I also recently read Black Man by the same author and it was good, less futuristic/cyberpunky than the Kovacs books, more a straight scifi thriller.