Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Everyone fears the big stack

This is something that I have noticed, and wonder if other people see the same thing. For simplification, assume the Button is stealing and the Big Blind is short-stack. Also assume the steal puts the short-stack all in.

It seems like, the short-stack is MORE LIKELY to call another short-stack (who is stealing) than a large stack. Despite the fact the short-stack is all-in despite the opponent's stack (so he can not redirect pressure), they more often gamble with other short-stacks than with a big stack.

I was wondering why this is.... and I notice it a lot.

1) People assume the big-stack is a better player (and short-stack a worst player). Therefore, an inexperience player may think the stealer knows his holdings.

2) The short-stack needs the chips more, and therefore is more likely to try to steal with marginal hands.

I honestly think reason 2 plays a large role. The short-stack automatically reasons (usually correctly) that the other player is stealing..... but why they would call with an inferior hand (when you can not play-back) seems very illogical.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Everyone fears the big stack

What about against another short stack you have more fold equity then against a big stack who is more then likely not going to fold anything?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:22 AM

i think big stack fear is over rated espically with short stack stategy. big stack needs to worry that short stack will call and short stack needs to call on occasion to show he wont be pushed around.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:05 PM

I always play full and I've never noticed short stacks fearing me. I'm more afraid of them though, that is more cautious about stealing their blinds as they tend not to fold to c-bets.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:26 AM

One thing I wasn't clear on .... talking about Tournaments here.... not cash games. Sorry
Old 08-19-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) People assume the big-stack is a better player (and short-stack a worst player). Therefore, an inexperience player may think the stealer knows his holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I see the big stack as a LAG who's beating variance at the moment.

I Actually see him calling me with an inferior hand giving me the best chance to double up.

If he sucks out he gets an even bigger stack which means he's even more likely to call me next time i get a good hand.

Big stacks mean someone prob took a few chances and they paid off.

Sure in a tournament you might wanna dance the big stack in some situations but AFRAID of the big stack nahh. I look foward to playing the big stack
Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 PM

The simple reasoning is,( bluffing aside)that the short stack has a wider range of hands he will push all-in with then the big stack.