Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: WARNING: NETELLER PHISHING

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do NOT ever login to a banking site such as neteller by following links in an email.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst part is Neteller has been sending out (legitimate) promo emails with instructions to log in through their email links. I pointed out to them how dangerous this could be but they were nonchalant about it and pretty much blew me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love folks who are intent on learning the hard way. It's amazing they wouldn't be all over this...
Old 09-13-2006, 05:38 PM

I got one in one of my email accts that i've never used for Neteller.

NETeller Identity Theft Notification

Dear NETELLER account holder,

We regret to inform you, that we had to block your NETELLER account because we have been notified that your account may have been compromised by outside parties.

Our terms and conditions you agreed to state that your account must always be under your control or those you designate at all times.Neteller's duty is to do everything to ensure safety to all of our customers and to prevent fraud.We have noticed some activity related to your account that indicates that other parties may have access and or control of your information in your account since our system shows login attempts from different IP addresses (China,Hong Kong,Taiwan).

These parties were in the past involved with money laundering, illegal drugs, terrorism and various Federal Title 18 violations.

Please be aware that until we can verify your identity no further access to your account will be allowed and we will have no other liability for your account or any transactions that may have occurred as a result of your failure to reactivate your account as instructed below.

Please follow the link below and renew your account information

https://www.neteller.com/ab/ve*rify/index.cfm

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Before you reactivate your account, all payments have been frozen, and you will not be able to use your account in any way until we have verified your identity.

NETELLER Customer Service
help@neteller.com

But the link points to www.nelleller.com/signin/index.htm [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do NOT ever login to a banking site such as neteller by following links in an email.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst part is Neteller has been sending out (legitimate) promo emails with instructions to log in through their email links. I pointed out to them how dangerous this could be but they were nonchalant about it and pretty much blew me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post freaked me out for a second because I remember getting an email from neteller the other day and I couldn't remember whether or not I had logged in through the account.

I don't think I did but the email is legit, (it takes me to the neteller website) but I went ahead and changed my password to be safe and not feel paranoid.

Def weak on neteller's part to be sending out these emails when they are aware of these phishing attempts.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:14 AM

holy crap.. you can change your neteller password w/o entering your old password?!

so if you happen to log in and leave the computer, anyone can come in and change it.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:02 AM

I just got another. It's pretty clever as well as it's conceivable that this should happen now:

Again, do not enter your info by following links in an email. These links have been cleaned up here but were actually different sites that look just like neteller.

Here's the email:

Dear NETELLER Client:

You have just received $684.00 USD in your NETELLER Account from partypoker.com affiliate programs.

Payment details

Amount: USD 684.00
ID: 2050551
Subject: You must use the link below to accept the payment
Note: https://www.neteller.com/accept.php?payment_id?=2050551

We hope you enjoy your cash.Use this link to accept the payment :https://www.neteller.com/accept.php?payment_id?=2050551

Please note that the fee of $1.00 USD has been deducted from the amount.

Thank you,

The NETELLER Team

About NETELLER

NETELLER uses international banking infrastructure to provide secure, convenient fund transfers around the world. With 2 million members, over 1,700 supported online merchants and $3.4 billion in transactions processed in 2004 , NETELLER is a leader in online payment services. Providing award-winning multilingual customer service, available 24 hours a day via phone, email or live chat, NETELLER offers exceptional service along with industry-leading security to ensure your personal details remain safe. NETELLER PLC is listed on the London AIM market (Ticker: NLR).

Copyright© 2005 NETELLER PLC. All rights reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is kind of fun to pretend you have fallen for it a few times and enter in a whole bunch of random info though

[/ QUOTE ]

I do that too. But since I used to be a web developer, I know the difference between a URL that has individual tracking information and one that doesn't.

If the url is something like http://ac23fd3566.something.something/something.html or http://999.999.999/site.html?2938302 then they're tracking your individual e-mail address and will spam you even more if you click the link since you just verified that your e-mail exists.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:02 AM

How about when you click a bogus ebay link in an email that appears legit, and Firefox AUTOMATICALLY populates your correct login info!

This happened to me with an Ebay phishing email but I caught the bogus link just before clicking login. I can't believe Firefox would do that. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2006, 05:34 AM

A long time ago someone did the same thing with everest.
They made a page where a player had to type in his login and password and alot of people fell for it.