Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Questions for atheists

This isn't really intended to be a leading question...I can already see how it could be taken this way, but I really am just curious.

I saw TheDude's thread in the Diablo forum about how he finally accepted the logic of atheism, and the main thing I was thinking was, "Now what?".

So you decided that the only logical explaination for the existence of the universe is that it came about by natural means, or some other method that doesn't involve a supreme being...now what? and why does this really matter if true?

Why is seeking truth so important to you? So you "figured out" the universe....is this impressive/fulfilling/something else? Further more, does absolute truth even matter if there is no God? Isn't your life meaningless now? If it is meaningless, does that matter, or not really?

As an atheist, why do you think life wants to survive? Why does life deny the apparent truth that there is no reason for it to exist? Furthermore, if there is no "reason" then why are things like reason and meaning so important to people?

I don't get it. Help me out here.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: What does one gain by being an atheist?

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't really intended to be a leading question...I can already see how it could be taken this way, but I really am just curious.

I saw TheDude's thread in the Diablo forum about how he finally accepted the logic of atheism, and the main thing I was thinking was, "Now what?".

So you decided that the only logical explaination for the existence of the universe is that it came about by natural means, or some other method that doesn't involve a supreme being...now what? and why does this really matter if true?

Why is seeking truth so important to you? So you "figured out" the universe....is this impressive/fulfilling/something else? Further more, does absolute truth even matter if there is no God? Isn't your life meaningless now? If it is meaningless, does that matter, or not really?

As an atheist, why do you think life wants to survive? Why does life deny the apparent truth that there is no reason for it to exist? Furthermore, if there is no "reason" then why are things like reason and meaning so important to people?

I don't get it. Help me out here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly, I can't help it. I can understand people who could care less what is actually true and are interested more in what makes them comfortable, I honestly can. But I can't live that way. To me, truth matters far more than comfort. I won't say it matters more than happiness, because it is the pursuit of truth that makes me happy. But I am absolutely willing to risk any discomfort, temporary pain and hopelessness in the pursuit of truth.

I am fortunate in that my search for truth hasn't caused me any harm so far. I am an atheist, and I am, as far as I can tell, just as happy, content and hopeful as anyone else I know.

The correct answer to your question is: You don't gain anything, and that is entirely beside the point.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why is seeking truth so important to you? So you "figured out" the universe....is this impressive/fulfilling/something else?

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally I find it satisfying to know how things work. It doesnt "matter" in a cosmic sense. But I dont think me being made by god matters either in the big scheme of things - I'm still fairly insignificant.

[ QUOTE ]
Further more, does absolute truth even matter if there is no God? Isn't your life meaningless now? If it is meaningless, does that matter, or not really?

[/ QUOTE ]
My life has had just as much meaning throughout my life whether I have been christian or atheist. I never derived any "extra" meaning by thinking "God made the world" it's just a different belief as to where things came from. Admittedly there is now one more sentient being that there is in an atheist worldview (and even a more important one), but this is a quantitative difference, not a qualitative one.

[ QUOTE ]
As an atheist, why do you think life wants to survive? Why does life deny the apparent truth that there is no reason for it to exist?

[/ QUOTE ]
This isnt apparent to me. The atheism I adhere to says there is an unknown reason, not no reason.

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, if there is no "reason" then why are things like reason and meaning so important to people?

[/ QUOTE ]
See above.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 AM

Vhawk, It's almost as if you repeated one of Dawkin's responses verbatim.

Also, I wanted to ask you something and it's a point Dawkins conceded. The point is that teaching religion to children does have a positive reinforcement, basically showing them that there life has meaning which creates a foundation for positive thought.

So what are your views on religion being taught to children?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:28 AM

He'll be flattered by that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... it's a point Dawkins conceded. The point is that teaching religion to children does have a positive reinforcement, basically showing them that there life has meaning which creates a foundation for positive thought.

[/ QUOTE ]
Although I could imagine Dawkins conceding that there is a point in teaching religion to children. I'm sure it wasnt because "it showed them that their life has meaning". Where did you read this?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:36 AM

In the Bishop of Oxford interview.

"For a child to be brought up in an environment that is infused with an ultimate meaning and purpose that our sense of human worth and dignity is grounded in something beyond itself. I think this gives sort of another dimension, and a sort of richness"

"I'm all for that kind of richness, and I take that as a challenge if I were to run that kind of school. I definitely agree with you that the richness and the meaning is important"

Definitely worth watching, I'll concede that Dawkins is a very intelligent and articulate man but it's not often that you get to see him have a rational conversation with someone of opposing views but equal intelligence.

I have a lot of the same views as the Bishop such as tolerance especially to homosexuals, evolution, not taking the bible literally but extracting an overall spiritual and moral meaning from it etc.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 AM

Thanks. I wonder how he'd respond to seeing himself cited in defence of theism. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vhawk, It's almost as if you repeated one of Dawkin's responses verbatim.

Also, I wanted to ask you a something and it's a point Dawkins conceded. The point is that teaching religion to children does have a positive reinforcement, basically showing them that there life has meaning which creates a foundation for positive thought.

So what are your views on religion being taught to children?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm big on Santa. All you really have to give a kid is the idea that magic really is in the world, and they'll be fine. With Santa, you run no risk of them trying to carry that belief into adulthood where it would damage their ability to reason clearly about certain topics.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:40 AM

Well to be honest, he was definitely out of character in the interview. He definitely wasn't out to get religion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS2TFVe9LDc