Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Do you want to have children?

[ QUOTE ]

Henry wins this thread. Just because you love your kids doesn't mean everyone else needs to have kids. That's just retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you actually read the thread then. No parent has chimed in saying that you NEED to have kids. Henry asked for reasons why people would want to have kids and he was given them. But the parents on this thread often have encouraged him NOT to have kids. I'm sure there are some parents that would force kids on everyone and that IS retarded, yes. But the majority of sane parents realize that having kids is not for everyone.

That should have been the end of the thread. Unfortunately, Henry seems to think that his way is the only way, and hence continues what some might consider trolling.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That should have been the end of the thread. Unfortunately, Henry seems to think that his way is the only way, and hence continues what some might consider trolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that isn't true at all. Have you been reading the same thread?

My position has been from the outset that it is an individual choice. What I have taken offence to is the implication that my agency is defective because I don't want children. I've been told I'll change my mind, that I'll regret my choice, that something will be missing, that I'm selfish, that my life is empty, that I can't possibly understand etc.

All I've stated is that for me the benefits of parenthood are not worth having a boring life. There is no claim that other people should have the same values. Individual's conception of the good are private and specific to them. I have no business judging them or telling them what their conception of the good should be.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 PM

I do agree with Henry that a lot of parents have a prejudice (sometimes subtle, sometimes not) against people who choose not to have children. They usually categorize them as selfish, self-involved, living lives devoid of real meaning, etc. (and yes a few of these words have appeared in some of the parents' responses on this very thread). Many non-parents devote a large part of their their lives to helping others. And many parents are selfish [censored]. Parents don't have a monopoly on selflessness or the ability to love.

My issue with Henry is that he keeps asking parents to justify why they think having kids is so great, as if it can be quantified. "Because I love my children" is a perfectly sufficient answer IMO.

To each his own.