Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 01-05-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Ivey vs. Corey Pavin golf bet

I've actually set this bet up with two of my friends. One shoots around a 92, the other can shoot anywhere from 73-84 depending on his swing that day, but he's usually a lock to break 80.

Same conditions as Ivey and Pavin: 92 (I guess 20-handicapper, right?) shooter gets 2 attempts per shot. He just needs to better the other guy playing straight up. We've actually discussed counting a tie as a win for the 20-handicapper.

Anyhoo, on whom should I bet? The 92-shooter never really blows up on a hole but someone as bad as me doesn't count a double-bogey as a blow-up. When I blow-up, I get the max stroke penalty and am told to move on. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Bet is for substantially less than $10k by the way. Probably with these two cheapies, less than $100.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:17 PM

7N7

there isn't as much difference in my opinion between your buddies and Phil/Corey. Corey is say a -4/5 handicap and Phil Ivey is prolly an 18 for a difference of say 22-23.

Your buddies are 92 and say 80 for a 12 shot difference. Not knowing much more - I would almost bet on the higher handicapper even with only two shots. What do you think?

Ok rereading your post - that is way too wide of a range for the better golfer 73-84???? Sounds like it depends on how much he drinks. hmmm - tough call.

Just have the higher handicapper take two lessons with Butch Harmon (you finance that at about $500 - really - anyone can have a lesson with him) then bet more and reap the benefits.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've actually set this bet up with two of my friends. One shoots around a 92, the other can shoot anywhere from 73-84 depending on his swing that day, but he's usually a lock to break 80.

Same conditions as Ivey and Pavin: 92 (I guess 20-handicapper, right?) shooter gets 2 attempts per shot. He just needs to better the other guy playing straight up. We've actually discussed counting a tie as a win for the 20-handicapper.

Anyhoo, on whom should I bet? The 92-shooter never really blows up on a hole but someone as bad as me doesn't count a double-bogey as a blow-up. When I blow-up, I get the max stroke penalty and am told to move on. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Bet is for substantially less than $10k by the way. Probably with these two cheapies, less than $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this one is close. 73-84 is a big range. i would assume 80 is his average score (it sounds like 73 is his best ever). if the 92 guy won on a tied hole, i would take him in a second and bet tons at 1:1. that just wouldn't be a fair bet. straight up, it could easily go either way.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:00 PM

I think many of you are missing a few key points if in fact the bet were 3 shots instead of 2:

1) Getting 3 puts is a huge deal. If Ivey is in fact a good putter he will output Pavin by a mile.

2) Playing the red tees is a massive advantage for Ivey. With three tee shots he will almost always have a very short approach shot.

3) There will be no blow ups. It is almost a physical impossibility for a decent player to make worse than a bogey from the red tees in this format and even a bogey should be considered a rare tragedy.

Cartman
Old 01-05-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think many of you are missing a few key points if in fact the bet were 3 shots instead of 2:

[/ QUOTE ]

He gets 2 shots only. It's buried in this thread somewhere so I forgive ya'.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
7N7

there isn't as much difference in my opinion between your buddies and Phil/Corey. Corey is say a -4/5 handicap and Phil Ivey is prolly an 18 for a difference of say 22-23.

Your buddies are 92 and say 80 for a 12 shot difference. Not knowing much more - I would almost bet on the higher handicapper even with only two shots. What do you think?

Ok rereading your post - that is way too wide of a range for the better golfer 73-84???? Sounds like it depends on how much he drinks. hmmm - tough call.

Just have the higher handicapper take two lessons with Butch Harmon (you finance that at about $500 - really - anyone can have a lesson with him) then bet more and reap the benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I basically posted his best ever score and worst ever score that I've heard of. That was stupid and probably why I'd get so pwned if I were to prop. bet more often.

I'd say 77-78 is more likely his average.

And this will be for overall score not per hole. They wouldn't do per hole cuz' they don't like to bet that often and it was a great sale by me to get them to agree to this one. Back pat.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if Ivey is a 15 handicap AND gets three shots on each 'shot' I would bet it would be very close. BUT the pro wins a majority of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am about a 10-12 handicap now (though I have played as low as a 4 in the past), and if I got 3 tries per shot from the reds, I would kill Tiger Woods. I would essentially never make a bogey EVER, and would be dissapointed with par on the majority of holes.

3 shots is such a huge advantage, its ridiculous. I have the opportunity to hit an iron shot off of every tee for safety, and still can reach most greens with an 8 iron or less on my second shot. Decent drives will leave me with a SW or LW into every pin with which I have 3 attempts to put close. The biggest advantage I think comes from putting. A 3-putt should be unthinkable, and 1-putts should be VERY common.

I would expect myself to shoot around -10 or so on average with these conditions. In a month or two when the course opens again, I think I'm going to try this.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am about a 10-12 handicap now (though I have played as low as a 4 in the past).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact you used to be a 4 changes things somewhat. You've hit the shots, especially around the greens.

I think yer basic ham n egger 10-15 hcp will still struggle, and maybe shoot around par (say 73-74). I suppose if the guy is a decent putter ... hmmm.

Someone has to recreate this.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:00 AM

Anyone a 15 handicap on here that would be interested in taking this bet(that wasn't really good at one time in their life?)
Old 01-06-2007, 02:34 AM

I suck at golf right now. I was quickly improving on my 20ish handicap before I took a year or so long break.

I do however, have lots of club memberships, lots of friends who work at clubs, and lots of friends very good at golf. I'm going to try to use one of my friends who is "dating" her course's club-pro to set this up for me and him to give this a shot for 9 holes or so.

It probably won't happen, but I'm going to hope for the best.