View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
Name a player you'd pay more money for right now.

You can't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Under what conditions?

If we're paying for a single pickup game in my backyard then Ramirez, Utley, and Posada all become worth more than him (replacement level is 2nd best in MLB).

If we're talking the 10 year blockbuster that Boras wants I'd certainly give that money to Ramirez, Utley or David Wright before Arod
Old 10-29-2007, 04:52 PM

i can't believe all you people talking about not wanting ARod. I will repeat what I said earlier: I would give my right testicle for him becoming a Cardinal, long term.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you mean just for 2008, I would pay more for Albert Pujols

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe

[ QUOTE ]
and David Wright.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dear A-Rod,

We'd love to have you as our third baseman. You'd be an upgrade over our current guy.

Signed,

Every MLB Team

/story

a) He's a swinger (*high five*)
b) He can plain out mash and is the awesome

I mean, he doesn't hug babies and make animal balloons for kids, but I'll sacrifice my warm and fuzzy feelings for 130 RBI's k thx.

You can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

josh Beckett

[/ QUOTE ]

What? lol. What? Giving a pantload of money to a pitcher is way riskier than to a hitter. And even if there was a hitter's equivalent to Josh Beckett and his pitching dominance, it wouldn't match A-Rods value.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
and David Wright.

No way.

[/ QUOTE ]

David Wright is a substantially superior defensive third baseman to A-Rod. Maybe not in 2008, but over the next 7 years or so DW should produce a lot more value than A-Rod.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't write some of this stuff...some of the things the Yankees FO thinks/says, some of the things the media says, and some of the things posters in this very thread are saying.

I mean it's inconceivable.

BEST PLAYER ON THE PLANET = GTFO YOU ARENT "TRUE".

I mean. Wow. Just. Wow. Even though I dislike all things Red Sox, I almost hope they buy him so he can stuff it down NY's asses for the next 7 years or so. There's just no place for ignorance and stupidity at this level. This isn't a high school baseball coach cutting a guy because he's "too short to play". This is the best baseball league the world has known and decision-makers suddenly have IQ's of 65.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agree with this. i was actually starting to like the yankees based soley on how much is despise red sox fans. Now, between what Steinbrenner Jr has said about A-Rod and Torre have just been so fantastically retarded I hope this franchise falls into a bottomless pit...along with all red sox fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the blame for A-Rod leaving is the FO's fault though,

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said this. I think it has more to do with the Yankee fans booing him, the local media blitzkrieging him, and Torre hitting him 8th (which may or may not have been F.O.-driven).

Who needs it? He can get hired by 31 other teams in a heartbeat. Life is too short to work for a bunch of [censored] in a city in which you aren't welcome.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that Franchise keeps repeating this implies he doesnt know much about baseball and doesnt think about it very deeply.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you read the thread before you attack someones knowledge of baseball.

I was repeating the quote that Mondo said because it was one of the more ridiculous things I ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, it's a very long thread and I must have skipped over origination of the statement. I apologize for the snarky comment.

And I have no doubt A-Rod will be considered one of the greatest players of all time, if not the greatest, by most fans if he retires with more HR's than Barry Bonds. But that won't necessarily make it true, will it? It's natural to rate todays hero higher than some dusty old man we never saw play.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM

I love how flawed this argument is.
You need a "team" to win a WS not an individual.
A-Rod hasn't won a WS yet.
Therefore A-Rod is selfish and cannot win a WS.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:11 PM

I would bet this decision wasn't about money, or more accurately that money is probably the least important reason. The Yankees offered to ensure A-Rod would have around $450M in career earnings by age 42, with a 6 year $150M extension and assuming he could get a $10M one year deal at age 42 in addition to his Mariners earnings. If he accepts 10/$300M elsewhere, his career earnings at age 42 would be $480M.

The marginal utility of an extra $30M when you have earned $450M is miniscule compared to other life factors, i.e. work satisfaction. So this opt out means that either

a) He was very unhappy with NY fans being such bandwagoners and feared what would happen next time he slumped.
b) He is unhappy playing 3B, tired of accommodating a guy who doesn't like him, and wants to cement his legacy by returning to short.
c) He doesn't like the middle aged Elephants and is afraid he'll be stuck with a dysfunctional organization that can't field a winner for the rest of his career.
d) He doesn't like how they treated Torre, or he doesn't want to play for that red ass Girardi.

Or some or all of the above. Clearly by not trying to negotiate, he's showing that he just wants to play elsewhere. It's not that they think the Yankees will come around and bid for him, it's that they don't care. I've often said he won't go to a bad team because he learned his lesson from Texas, but I'm not so sure now. If he's angry with the Yankees for some reason, would he take a deal from some second class organization like the Dodgers out of spite?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:13 PM

Damn Desercat, you type fast.