Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Watch Out For Ron Paul

I donated 200 in each of the last two quarters, I'll probably pitch in some more this quarter.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 PM

Ron Paul's 114 percent increase is in stark contrast to the decrease suffered by Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, and John McCain. Romney's fundraising was down 29 percent. Giuliani was down 40 percent. McCain was down 55 percent.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:22 PM

Why isn't Romney limited by the 2300 donation cap?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why isn't Romney limited by the 2300 donation cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should certainly be noted that the Romney campaign is 6 million into the red if it wasn't for funding it himself.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:37 PM

I would also like to point out that Dr. Paul's average donation was apparently $40. That leaves a LOT of room for repeat donations, not to mention new donators.

The people who think that "everyone who would vote for Dr. Paul are already supporting him" are going to be in for a big surprise. I'll let others elaborate. Brief Hint: "Freedom is good", "Taxation, regulation, and government in general should all be smaller" and "End the war" all resonate. There is exactly one candidate who espouses all of these positions.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also like to point out that Dr. Paul's average donation was apparently $40. That leaves a LOT of room for repeat donations, not to mention new donators.

The people who think that "everyone who would vote for Dr. Paul are already supporting him" are going to be in for a big surprise. I'll let others elaborate. Brief Hint: "Freedom is good", "Taxation, regulation, and government in general should all be smaller" and "End the war" all resonate. There is exactly one candidate who espouses all of these positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul's anti-war stance doesn't resonate with the majority of registered Republicans. You underestimate how blindly bellicose and jingoistic most Republicans are. 69% of Republicans still approve of Bush ( http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...CTpNEgrmnvEVBA ) . Do you think the type of person who still approves of Bush is going to vote for Ron Paul? I doubt it. There is the possibility of independents and democrats turning out in large numbers for Paul in the primaries, but the deck is already stacked so strongly against him. Sorry, but thats the way it is.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul's anti-war stance doesn't resonate with the majority of registered Republicans. You underestimate how blindly bellicose and jingoistic most Republicans are. 69% of Republicans still approve of Bush ( http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...CTpNEgrmnvEVBA ) . Do you think the type of person who still approves of Bush is going to vote for Ron Paul? I doubt it. There is the possibility of independents and democrats turning out in large numbers for Paul in the primaries, but the deck is already stacked so strongly against him. Sorry, but thats the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I support Ron Paul. But it looks like he won't win. So I shouldn't waste my time. I should just support those people who look like they are going to win. The front runners have the exact opposite views on policy of Ron Paul. So I'm going to support people who have the exact opposite agenda that I want.

Wait. There's a logic flaw somewhere in there, hmm.

Oh yeah, it's that people should support who they want to win, not who they think is going to win. That's right.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with this analysis. But looking back upon the scope of American history, stranger things have happened. John Adams didn't install himself as dictator. Grover Cleveland got elected. The Whigs put John Tyler on the ticket with Harrison because "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too" was catchy and then Harrison was patriotic enough to take the eternal celestial dirtnap after a month.

Regardless of whether Ron Paul can win a Republican primary, he is in for the long haul, and his ideas will change the shape of the entire debate.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I support Ron Paul. But it looks like he won't win. So I shouldn't waste my time. I should just support those people who look like they are going to win. The front runners have the exact opposite views on policy of Ron Paul. So I'm going to support people who have the exact opposite agenda that I want.

Wait. There's a logic flaw somewhere in there, hmm.

Oh yeah, it's that people should support who they want to win, not who they think is going to win. That's right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again. I never said you shouldn't support Ron Paul. I was just critiquing Boro's optimistic assessment of how well Paul's message will resonate with people who will vote in the Republican primaries.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally will be increasing my donations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight. You won't vote for Ron Paul but you'll give his campaign money??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]