Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Popular (book, movie, etc) that you simply don\'t like.

Already mentioned by others The Matrix, Crash and Fight Club. I watched them all the way through though.

Some personal 30-60 minute wonders (the point at which I couldn't stand them anymore and had to turn off would be Dances with Wolves, Ghandi, Lost in Translation, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Snatch, Amelie, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Garden State just off the top of my head I'm sure there are many more.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:14 PM

oh i've got another one. U2. can't stand them.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Already mentioned by others The Matrix, Crash and Fight Club. I watched them all the way through though.

Some personal 30-60 minute wonders (the point at which I couldn't stand them anymore and had to turn off would be Dances with Wolves, Ghandi, Lost in Translation, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Snatch, Amelie, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Garden State just off the top of my head I'm sure there are many more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Garden State and dont get how anyone can hate it enough to not watch it all.

I also like Crouching Tiger, Lock Stock and Snatch on that list but i can understand someone not liking them i guess.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:36 AM

i love hemingway, but i can totally see how people hate him. all the hyper-macho superhero main characters and insane chauvinism and cheesy sentiment and existential angst. i just eat it right up because it's disguised as something far more radical - although, at the time, i think that's what it was. in his defense. one of those people who really changed the game.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:45 AM

Ferris Buellers Day Off - Disney level crap that is unwatchable. The High School Musical of it's Day.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - rank garbage. A bit like the Emperors New Clothes.

U2, Metallica - rock music for people who really just like pop but don't know it.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 AM

Deer Hunter has already been mentioned.

Would i get shot for adding "White Men Can't Jump"?

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. They totally screwed up the book when making the film.
Douglas Adams must be spinning in his urn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2007, 12:09 PM

A lot of the examples I have read so far aren't things that are universally liked. It seems that this thread is too close to listing "things you dislike that others like", which is itself very close to "things you dislike".
Old 09-23-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harry [censored] Potter. But good on her for ripping off LOTR and making $1 billion.

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly is Harry Potter a ripoff of Lord of the Rings? Oh wait, there's magic in both. Even though magic in Harry Potter bears no resemblance to magic in Lord of the Rings. Oh and there are goblins! Even though the goblins in Harry Potter bear no resemblance to those in Lord of the Rings. There are pointy hats though! I can totally see how anyone might have created the entire Harry Potter storyline now based on Tolkien's work. vnp.

For what it's worth, any fan of Norse mythology knows that Tolkien borrowed from those myths to a far greater extent than Rowling could have possibly borrowed from him. And I'm glad he did.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:23 PM

Pink Floyd. I've found that since I stopped smoking weed this band isn't nearly as entertaining.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:31 PM

Fight Club
A Beautiful Mind

and any work by:

Melville
Hemingway(except Old Man and the Sea)
Whitman