Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 04:30 AM

Default What are your comfort movies? Why?

Comfort == movies you watch over and over when you have some time and not really wanting to do much else.

When I was a teen, the movie I used to watch over and over again was 'The Wanderers'. I just loved it when I saw it at teh cinema, and it was the first video I ever bought (this is back when VHS was new [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

These days it tends to be comedies. If I'm bored and not much on, I'll often slip on Dumb and Dumber or Blazing Saddles. If I want something uplifting or a little deeper, then it's Groundhog Day. I'll also watch Dogma over and over - there's something intangible about it, but I really dig it.

And for action movies, it's usually Commando. It's dumb, it's exciting, it's short - it does absolutely everything you want from an action movie.

wondered what you guys reindulge in.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:47 AM

Default Re: What are your comfort movies? Why?

I have a lord of the rings marathon about once a year when im at my lowest. Star wars too, but about half as often.

Others include Apocalypse Now and various Tarantino's movies.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 AM

My favourite for this would be Let It Ride - a movie all gamblers can relate to with great characters, nothing over the top.

Chevy Chase in the Lampoons vacation movies is very rewatchable.

National Vactation
Christmas Vacation
Euro Vacation
Vegas Vacation

Doesn't matter how many times you have watched some of those scenes.

The Sting falls into this category for me as well - just great characters that you get to be familiar with.

Jaws, The Great Escape & quite a few good westerns would also fit the description you've given.

For dumb action Under Siege is pretty good.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:24 AM

O Brother Where Art Thou? is probably my ultimate comfort movie (if not my favorite movie ever). Just a good deal of fun, some ridiculous pokes at racism/classism, and I love the time period/location. Just never get tired kicking back and watching that with some ice tea.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:25 AM

Cameron Crowe makes good comfort movies.. I can watch Fast Times or Almost Famous a ton of times.. lots of coming of age stuff I can watch again and again.. cool funny stuff like Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Dazed and Confused.

For the lonely yet still hopelessly romantic mood, Say Anything or Before Sunrise gives me comfort because hey, it could happen!

Finally the Big Lebowski.. I've watched it a good # of times.. give me a couple more years and I'll be the most annoying person to watch this movie with. (I'm already the worst to watch Seinfeld with cuz I laugh before the punchline knowing what's gonna happen and constantly blurt out upcoming lines then laugh.. can't help it)
Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 AM

Papillon,Rocky,The great escape.

Basically,come back movies going against the odds,showing strength of character.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 AM

I've never seen O Brother Where Art Thou. Don't even know what it's about. Guess I need to rent this one huh. Good call on the Lampoon Vacation movies. Those are good comfort films.

When I'm horribly depressed I like comfort films and they are always comedies. I don't really like dramas that much. When I'm depressed the last thing I want to do is watch any knd of romance movie unless perhaps it has Jack Black in it. Top choices are

Dumb and Dumber
Liar Liar
School of Rock
Meet the Parents
Tommy Boy

I feel like watching Liar Liar right now.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:01 AM

Guess someone is depressed right now then. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2007, 08:07 AM

Definitely have to say American Beauty, whenever I'm down a watching of that film will cheer me up. It just reminds me of how much beauty there is in the world.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Shaun of the Dead - funny and entertaining, but also has a script that rewards repeat viewings, and has this quality where if I see a clip or even think about the film I have to immediately go watch the whole thing.

Ghost World - just fits my sense of humor perfectly, and is also of course a very good movie.