Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Windy at the WSOP

From PokerNews:

[ QUOTE ]
Emergency Measures
The situation in the Poker Pavilion is impossible. The wind is slamming the tent from the outside, and it's also rushing in through the doors and causing a strong draft inside the room. The entire structure, including the metal rafters and pillars, is shaking like some kind of funhouse attraction. Standing in the middle of the room you can't believe your eyes, it almost feels like the wind might fill the inside of the roof and lift it like a sail.

The situation has deteriorated enough that Harrah's has sent the players on an early dinner break and they will try to break as many tables inside the Amazon Room as possible so they can seat the entire event indoors. If they can't do that, they've announced that they will postpone it until tomorrow.

It's a decision that had to be made. Players were extremely vocal in their displeasure about the conditions and, frankly, it was starting to look dangerous in there. The wind is very powerful and it hasn't let up all day.

So, we are on dinner break for 90 minutes. Play will resume at 10:30 p.m. PDT. Provided they can get everyone seated indoors, that is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 AM
 is offline

Default Re: Windy at the WSOP

Oh, mother nature.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:53 AM

They question is, why did they hold it in a danged tent in the FIRST place? Are there not other rooms in the convention center building they could of used?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 AM

I just got knocked out of the omaha event and it was nuts. My table was right in front of the door and the table sign fell and hit the guy in seat one. Cards kept getting caught by the wind and being exposed while being dealt. It was terrible.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:19 AM

At one point, there were 6 bracelet events taking place at the same time tonight. I'd have assumed they'd have stopped the cash games/satellites until they could get everyone out of the tent.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 AM

Not good at all!

http://news.pokerpages.com/index.php...ew&id=2243

[ QUOTE ]

Tuesday, 05th of June 2007 10:27 PM
(Jennifer Newell reporting)

As players were coming back from dinner, they gathered outside the Pavilion (fancy word for death trap) for instructions. The tournament director told them to go into the tent and bag their own chips without sealing the bag. Once each player at any particular table completed the task, the dealer for that table was to walk those players to a designated table in the Amazon Room (fancy word for safe place). He admitted that the tables will be scattered at first but would consolidate as tables break throughout the evening.

Potential problem: Someone comes back from the dinner break 1/2 hour late. Do all players at that table have to watch their level disappear while other tables are playing?

Potential problem: Chaos for the tournament staff monitoring this event... Enough said.

There is a good thing that comes from this decision... Lives may be saved. You should really see this tent.

Tuesday, 05th of June 2007 10:13 PM
(Justin West reporting)

Jeff Madsen
So the word on the street is that this event may very well be postponed until tomorrow. Reason being, something snapped overhead in the tent (aka, the Refugee Camp) and they may not have enough tables in the Amazon Room to accommodate everyone.

Also, here's an interesting tidbit. I was talking with Jeff Madsen, last year's WSOP boy wonder, who was sitting immediately to the left of Doyle Brunson. He said at one point Doyle announced that if he could split his chips up among the other players at the table, he would. Five minutes later, said Jeff, Doyle simply got up, left his stack there, and left the table never to return. Esentially, given the shifting overheads, Doyle said "f%*! it!"

Speaking of Jeff, I asked him if he was still in school, given that last year he'd said he was planning on continuing his education after the WSOP last year, which saw him earn two bracelets, make a total of four final tables, and take home over $1 Million. When I asked he just shook his head.

"No, I'm not in school anymore," said Jeff. "I think it was the right decision. I made it halfway through, and it was film school. I could make a film right now if I wanted to."

I'm sure he wouldn't have any trouble finding funding. Here's an idea. How about a film about an incredibly attractive, yet wholly sensitive poker reporter who spends his days covering the biggest poker event in the world, dodging lights as they fall from the ceiling and engaging in heated battles with members of other media for access. I think it's a good idea! Only thing is, I doubt Brad Pitt has enough time in his schedule to play the part of me. No one else would really do me justice

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-06-2007, 02:40 AM

Perhaps Harrah's might have anticipated a Vegas windstorm or two during the WSOP, but this one is a real doozy. Winds are 25-35 mph with gusts of 40-50, and it's going to continue all night.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 AM

"The tent is build to withstand 90mph gusts. You have nothing to worry about." - Security guard at the Rio on the structural integrity of the tent.

On my way to the bathroom during the last break I saw that an entire panel of the pavilion had blown into the tent, landing on a table and chairs and covering them all.

Devo
Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 AM

90mph my ass

windy as balls though last night
Old 06-06-2007, 09:24 AM

I'm staying at Rio and this is the worst wind I've seen here. You really can't blame Harrah's (for once) for not being prepared.