Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 AM

Default when to switch gears.

i often find myself in good chip position when we are in the middle of the tourney. but i often find myself majorly short stacked when it gets to right before the money. its obvious that i don't know how, or when to "switch gears." can anyone give me tips or advice on when to do that?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: when to switch gears.

anyone?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:25 PM

when the table dynamic points to it being profitable...in position and when you feel you can manipulate them with your bets
Old 10-21-2007, 11:30 PM

when raise/blinds ratio becomes favorable
Old 10-22-2007, 01:32 AM

When the table tightens up and every other hand is folded to the BB, look for spots to raise and steal the blinds. Usually you need to take what the table gives you. EX. If it's folded to you on the cutoff and you hold a marginal hand like Q10, 78s, etc. raise it up and hope to steal the blinds, if you get called you can fire a c bet on the flop depending on the texture of the flop. You can't wait for premium hands, maybe that's what your're doing?? Take what table gives you. If someone raises in front, you must fold the marginal hands and wait for another spot.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:14 AM

Know when the start pushing if you get short enough.

Recognize when players are opening a lot and re-steal against them.

Don't be afraid to steal blinds if your stack allows you too (making standard raise preflop - if you are short you should be pushing when you raise).

Don't be afraid to push with 85o with 10BBs in the CO against medium stacks in the blinds.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Know when the start pushing if you get short enough.

Recognize when players are opening a lot and re-steal against them.

Don't be afraid to steal blinds if your stack allows you too (making standard raise preflop - if you are short you should be pushing when you raise).

Don't be afraid to push with 85o with 10BBs in the CO against medium stacks in the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sound advice but i'm just going to expand on it a small bit, people often start (and react to) pushing a lot later than they should. If you have a 10-12bb stack with antes, start getting it in there, esp in LP and you will probably pick up these pots uncontested for a couple of orbits, you will soon have a stack big enough to manouver and do some damage when you do pick up a hand.

Also look for those players playing very tight, especially around the bubble where they just want to cash, and raise their blinds. The bubble can be a very profitable time if you can target those people just looking to creep into the cash as their calling ranges go up dramatically.

Generally straight after the bubble play opens up a little big but hopefully you have accumulated enough chips here to start picking of some shorties with pots odds calls and marginal holdings. Do be aware that this time can get a bit too crazy sometimes and if the big stacks are getting active too this may be a time to slow down a bit.

Essentially changing gears is just about exploiting the table dynamics and stack sizes. Restealing, stealing and abusing the bubble are excellent weapons to have when used properly but at the same time don't be afraid to tighten up aagainst certain players and awkward table situations.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:43 AM

I was / am having the same problems, I seem to be able to generate decent chips in the early phase employing a premium hands or potential massive hands with cheap flops (Suited A, connectors etc)

My problem is in the mid game, unless I get the cards (ie big aces / pockets) I find I am short stacked pushing. (I generally play in $12 180 man turbos).

I think I have been employing the same strat in the early / middle part to the tourney, only chaging once I get towards the end.