Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: $11 Sunday 100K on the bubble

[ QUOTE ]
lot of talk by everyone just to say push

[/ QUOTE ]

if he doesn't understand the reasons to push, he comes back asking the same question the next time he has a strong hand on the bubble
Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 PM

QQ is nice...1st place is better than 2nd place is better than 3rd place....etc etc
Old 10-22-2007, 12:51 AM

I hear you guys... It just stung a little having my QQ's cracked by AK right before the bubble burst.

And then I started thinking that AK is a very likely holding for UTG in that position and do you I want to be racing at this point? That's when I started thinking about the strategy of calling and then push on a blank flop.

I think it's clear that an opponent raise in any other position other than UTG is an EASY push by me.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear you guys... It just stung a little having my QQ's cracked by AK right before the bubble burst.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lousy result, but easily the correct play. The only spot I would fold QQ there is if you are in a satelite where x number of players get in, but in this case you should welcome this spot, this is your chance to chip up and go for a real nice score. Playing to cash sux, and should only be done if you are clearly at the bottom of the remaining players in chips and can't really accomplish much more. In this spot, chipping up is more important than cashing!!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK here are some more thoughts...

Since UTG is raising, I have to believe this is a premimum hand (JJ+, AQ+). I don't believe they have AA because they'll raise less hoping to get more than just the blinds.
And QQ isn't likely because I have two...

So that leaves AQ, AK, KK and JJ... I dominate AQ and JJ, the AK's are a flip, and UTG dominates me with KK

My "real" options are Push and Call.

If I push, more than half the time I am flipping or being dominated.

If I call, I can play a flop in position... (and hope it doesn't come down AKJ - LOL)

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG's raising range ON THE BUBBLE in a $11 tournament is MUCH wider than JJ+/AK. If it's close to the bubble and I have anything remotely close to a decent stack I'm raising a huge range stealing blinds from people like you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

QQ is an absolute monster here - if you don't push, you are not maximizing your EV.

If cashing in a $10 for a $7 profit is a big deal to you - I would not play $10 tournaments.