Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Full tilt 150 32k guarantee 77 line chk

Man my online game is super rusty. Is the cold call pre optimal?

Button: 1800
Hero: 2900
Blinds 15/30

Hero holds 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in SB

Preflop: Folds to button, button raises to 90, hero calls, BB folds.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, button checks.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets 135, button calls.

River: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Button breifly thinks then bets 390, hero?

Thoughts up to this point?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Full tilt 150 32k guarantee 77 line chk

Both a repop pf and a call are fine IMO, the latter being ok contingent on not thinking you're playing for set value of course. I would usually tend to repop with 77 here because more often than not the BB is going to come along for the ride after you call and you're going to have to play OOP with a hand that will be tricky to play and weak/tight to C/F.

But again, I'm fine with calling if you're confident post-flop. As played, I like the betting the turn though I might throw in a bit more and I fold the river, I don't see what he's playing this way that we beat.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:10 PM

I like the call preflop, stacks are too deep to re-raise with 77, and you have sufficient implied odds/showdown equity to call. Flop-turn I think look fine... I suppose you could have fired a bet on the flop, but I like the line you took.

Obviously that's a bad river card for you. I don't think you will win the showdown sufficiently often to profitably call, and a blocking bet/bluff on the river seems reckless. So I think it's a fold.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the call preflop, stacks are too deep to re-raise with 77

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. Like I said I think a call is fine, but I take issue with saying a RR is bad here. Yes. stacks aren't ideal for it, but:
* You are ahead of the buttons range.
* If you don't 3b occasionally deep stacked with these types of hands when ahead of the raisers range, you're telegraphing your hand when you do 3b, which is obv exploitable.
* I think it's fair to say after you call, the avg BB is coming along getting 3:1 with wide range. Which means very often you'll be seeing a flop 3-way and first to act with a hand that, well ahead of the ranges of both villains, is going to be very difficult to play if you don't flop a set.
* What's the prob here with making it ~220, folding to a pf 3b, and firing 350 at any flop if called?

Like I said, call is fine, but RR isn't bad either. Also like I said, in calling you have to be able to play your hand, 3 way if necessary, without just limiting yourself to set value.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 AM

I like the line and fold river.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 AM

it's all good, now fold the river because his floating % on the turn <<<<< his "I has a big diamond, I call" % on the turn.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 AM

I really don't like repopping preflop.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:14 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like repopping preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, these were my thoughts when I read Kneeco's post. I am pretty sure repopping isn't -EV or anything, but I don't think its as +EV as just calling. And yeah, we shouldn't be calling just to play for set value obv, but we will have to adjust how we play it based on whether or not BB comes along. I'll lean more towards playing it for set value if we're 3-handed with the worst position in a small pot. HU against Button, I'll also play a small pot and try to get to showdown with it.

Anyway, as played, the river is an easy fold.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
* If you don't 3b occasionally deep stacked with these types of hands when ahead of the raisers range, you're telegraphing your hand when you do 3b, which is obv exploitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily mind having a tight, solid table image when the blinds are small at the beginning of a tournament. I won't be exploitable much longer when the blinds increase and I become more aggressive.

I don't like re-raising in this spot because I don't really want to build a big pot with 77 out of position, and if the villain folds to my raise, I've only won a very small pot. I'd much rather call, keep the pot small, and play a flop.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:36 PM

Call PF. I don't wanna 3 bet it, get called and then play a bloated pot OOP. If I pop it to 270-300 here and he calls (sure maybe he does fold PF but i assume he calls) then pot is about 600. There is gonna be a mess of overs usually and I have to decide whether to lead out and then almost def. fold to a raise or check and hope to keep the pot where it is.

Not saying that every decision should be the one that makes the hand easiest to play but I'd atleast like to act last.