Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 AM

Default Confessions of a mid-stakes tilt monkey

I am writing this to anyone considering going pro.. Basically writing this to myself 5 months ago.

Poker has gone from fun and stimulating, to a stressful chore.. It can be rewarding at times.. But really its just one big mind [censored].

If your considering going pro with the grand dream of making it to the high stakes, please please make sure you have a backup plan. There are many more traits to being a good poker player than just being quick witted and smart...
This is all you really need to beat the low limits.. So you may be fine for a while. But if you ever want to beat the 15/30+ consistantly day in and day out.. You not only have to be quick witted.. you have to have strong emotional discipline.

Your viewpoint of the game WHILE PLAYING must be positive and in control or ur going to spew away your small edge whenever your on a down swing.

If you think low stakes games are stressful LOL... u aint seem nothing.
To be able to cap the turn with your top pair, only to get 3 outed by an overcard that now have top pair 3 times in a session and not be on tilt takes a lot of will.

A lot of opponents styles thrives on throwing bets down your throat until you feel smothered, causing u to play like a moron in frustration.

To play higher stakes limit consistantly, you need to have an iron will.

Sadly, I dont think I will ever realize my dream of being a high stakes limit hold em guru, unless I make a dramatic breakthrough in emotional discipline.
I think I am limited by personality traits and deep rooted insecurities more than something that can be quickly fixed through habits.

If you are consideirng going pro and have big problems with tilt, you may want to consider another alternative.

The stress is frequent and your long term earn rate will likely be capped at the mid stakes.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Confessions of a mid-stakes tilt monkey

Amen.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-24-2007, 03:20 AM

Anyone that can play online lhe as their only source of income is a real trooper in my book. 50 years down the line I'm sure that playing online limit holdem in one's youth will be the leading cause of death among middle aged men.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 AM

Substantively, I have a piece of specific advice, and that is to tailor your style to your emotional makeup. There's some value in reducing what might be called reverse implied tilt odds, and that might mean being a little less out on the edge. 35/25 lagtag is sexy, and perhaps optimal IF YOU CAN MAINTAIN OPTIMALITY. It's no personal failing to admit that you can't - it probably means you're a normal human being instead of a degen who just happens to be skilled. But this means foregoing the last little bit of edge to smooth your variance out. I know that this is sacrilege, but the end goal is to end up with the most money in the end, not playing with the biggest EV until you drop.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:44 AM

heis, you need to go find yourself some rory in the archives.

"learn to quit well"
Old 10-24-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
50 years down the line I'm sure that playing online limit holdem in one's youth will be the leading cause of death among middle aged men.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loled at this... then It scared me casue its prolly true [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As the style thing sethy is talking about, I agree 100%.
A succesful LAGTAG style requiers a keen awareness of when they can and cannot win a pissing contest given the player/range/board/situation.
If your on tilt , your likely paranoid, and unable to realistically assess this... Since you will assume people are trying to bluff you more than they really are.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"learn to quit well"

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with a lot of the "don't play unless your on your A game" advice.

Why? Because then I would rarely play. its not realistic if I want to make a living at this game.
I try to follow the "dont play if ur on your D game or worse".

Fortunatly I table select solidly so my B-C game is enough to beat soft games. I am still suceeding at the limits I play despite my frequent mistakes.
Other people suck at poker worse, which helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This post is admitting to myself that I doubt I will ever be able to win in very tough games because of tilt and that I really cannot do this for more than another year or so.

Maybe I am downplaying this rory fellow tho... I apreciate the suggestion

Im REALLY looking forward to tony angelos book when it coems out..
Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A+, would do again.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"learn to quit well"

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with a lot of the "don't play unless your on your A game" advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is that your A game is the new C game as slowly you habituate only playing your A game. Thus, you can play more then the 20-30% you are on your A-game now. Thus not only do you make more when you play, you become a better player.