Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-15-2007, 03:33 PM

Default 10/20 Horse on Stars - CR or Call with Wheel on Flop?

This is the second round of O/8 since I sat down and I have only been showing down solid hands up till this point.

8-handed

I am UTG and Dealt 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG - Call / Call
Button - Raise
BB - Call

3-handed

Flop - 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB - Check / Call
UTG - Check / ?
Button - Bet

Should I raise now or wait for the turn to rasie?

Reads:

Button - has shown down some weak hands and continues to bet in position even if it is clear he can't move someone off a better hand.

BB - No read

My thoughts are with 2 to a flush I want to get value from any flush draws and thought no one would fold to a raise on the flop.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Horse on Stars - CR or Call with Wheel on Flop?

I am really new to Omaha/8, but you want to get as much money into the pot if you have the nuts (what u do). For me the question should be: Bet out or c/raise!?!

With your read on Button I think check/raising is superior to betting out, but why do you want to just call? To conceal your hand? meh... You can play passively when you were outdrawn by a flush, but now when you opponents are most likely drawing you should get as much money as possible into the pot.

As said I am a beginner so don't take my response for good/granted [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Edit: Maybe it is better to not play this too aggressively, because you have an FH-Draw as well, but for me this is just another reason to get as much money in as possible.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 PM

when btn calls, im firing another bet out and hope that btn just calls and gets bb in. You have nuts with redraw to a higher straight and boat draw. I think that this might be a good time to try and get more money in. Also, this way you can confidently lead turn w/o having to worry about btn checking behind and losing an extra BB. Had bb folded, I think you can call and c/r non-club turn. Lead club turn b/c he might check behind w/o flush, but might call with worse hands down
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I raise now or wait for the turn to rasie?

[/ QUOTE ]Mcpst17 - It's not an easy question for me to answer without knowing your opponents. I would have bet the flop, hoping for a raise behind me, rather than trying for a check-raise.

I personally have an aversion to check-raising, except as a defensive tactic, that's hard to explain or defend. Somehow it would change the amicability of any game I was in. I want to have a good time and I want everyone else to have a good time too. Maybe that's silly of me.

At any rate, at this point either calling and waiting for the turn to make your move or immediately check-raising seem similar. You're not going to make much more on the hand one way or the other. Whether to raise or not has as much to do with the way you play some other hands as this one.

Buzz
Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 AM

given the nature of the flop and that it is quite likly someone has a fiar piece of it and how strong you hand is, i personally lead in, hoping to get raised here like buzz said. Given your read of the button, and if u think he is almost certian to bet the turn even if he only has a small part of it, hoping to get u guys out and that the BB is sandwitched inbetween you two i see no problem with going for a check raise, (i dont think one should worry greatly about others having a good time in an online game, in real life i can perhaps see how constatnly check raising may have some negative implications)...however when going for a check raise on the turn with such a monster you really hate seeing it been checked behind, so in my mind, and this is of the top of my head, you really need to be over 80% certain that the button is going to bet at it, if you are about that sure, then go for it, sandwitch up the BB as well!!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:24 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I really never considered leading out the flop but can now see that may have been a better line.

In the actual hand I checked raised the flop and everyone folded :-(.

I think the C/R on the Flop after limping UTG screams wheel given my table image. If I would lead the flop the button may raise for a variety of reasons but needs a real hand to continue after I C/R.