Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Getting past the rake stakes.

ok so i am a winning 50plo player and i just wanna know from you guys that play 2/4plo and up, how does one break this barrier of stakes that just have the rake eat at your profits? i look at my total winnings, and then i look at my total amount raked. its so ridiculous how much poorer i am because the rake is so sick. when ooing and aweing at the profits people post per month at 10/20ish stakes, i just realized my profits are somewhat proportional if i just add my rake in. do winning players at higher stakes make their bankrolls starting from 50plo, or make significant cashins to increase the wad?

im having a very frustrating time trying to accumulate large profits at this level. i can win easy, but i feel like i have to play 200k hands before i can move up one limit with any 50+ buyin roll. if i can afford to cash in a large amount in order to raise my limits, is it worth it?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Getting past the rake stakes.

have you ever considered rake back... its quite helpful to counterbalance it at those stakes.. also try sites with decent deposit bonuses... but yes if your a winning player, why not try a small shot at 1/2 2/4
Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 AM

Unless you have absolutely no choice in the matter, waiting until you have 50 buy-ins is (IMO) excessive below 1/2 or so. While I don't really feel comfortable playing 1/2 without 40+ buy-ins, I'm fine with 25-30 at .5/1.00.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 AM

You should be able to beat 50plo for more than the best players beat 2kplo for, even with the rake, before you move up. Otherwise you still have a lot of leaks.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be able to beat 50plo for more than the best players beat 2kplo for, even with the rake, before you move up. Otherwise you still have a lot of leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]??
Old 11-13-2007, 03:22 AM

I moved up from PLO 50 pretty quickly, but I probably ran better than my expectation at that level. It really was easy to win at that level and if you cannot beat the rake there you have some big leaks, like roundtower said.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:22 AM

Agreed. I averaged over 11 PTBB/100 there despite giving away about half of my winnings in rake. My advice at those limits is to either bet the pot or raise the pot as much as possible when it's your turn to act. (At least if you're on Stars or FT.) At 10 BB/100, it should take you 25K hands (not 200K hands) to make 50 BI.

To be fair though, 0.5/1 is the level where I have the highest winrate, so the rake difference might be bigger than the skill difference in that small jump. Just about every limit you move up after that though, it will be harder to win at the higher level than it was at the one previous.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:49 AM

its not a matter of beating the rake - i know i can do that(its just not 10ptbb/100), and btw i have rakeback. when u say that u have a leaky game if u cant hit a huge winrate, it seems that when i am playing a session there are very few hands where i actually question my play. i know i extract max value for my hands and read my opponents well. most my negative sessions are from simply losing alot of races. im really not questioning my game here, i think i just need to play more hands. should i just post every hand where i go broke(excluding some) to find my leaks? or is this more of a pokerEV thing?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 AM

you probably need to examine your play more and be more open to the fact that you are doing a lot of things wrong. The reason you are still playing 50plo is not that you can't move up because the rake is so high. Saying

[ QUOTE ]
i know i extract max value for my hands and read my opponents well. most my negative sessions are from simply losing alot of races. im really not questioning my game here

[/ QUOTE ]

will really not help you improve.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 AM

The rake sucks at that level, no doubt. But those games are VERY beatable for 7ptbbs ++ (the better players could beat them over a large sample for 12ptbbs +++ very easily). So focus on playing your best and beating the level for the best winrate possible. Once you have 30 - 40 bi for .5/1, move up. Rinse and repeat. Soon you won't be thinking about rake at all except wanting to pay it so you can clear your [censored] bonus or get your [censored] TV.