Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-22-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: OOT Sleep Experts: What kind of mattress do you have?

Another question: I currently have a bed frame with a platform, and never thought I needed a box spring. Is a box spring really needed if I get a mattress that is thicker than 12 inches?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another question: I currently have a bed frame with a platform, and never thought I needed a box spring. Is a box spring really needed if I get a mattress that is thicker than 12 inches?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have a platform bed (not sure if you do) you don't need a boxspring at all.

man I hate those metal bed frames, it's like a guaranteed injury every time you mess with one.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:45 PM

I have a select comfort which is basically a sleep number w/out the digital thing to tell you how hard or soft your bed is. It is the most comfortable thing I've slept in. I actually need less sleep now because the sleep I do get is so much better. I can't recommend it enough.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:56 PM

Default UPDATE on the bed situation

All,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave their input. An even bigger thanks goes out to Kneel B4 Zod, who directed me towards this website:

[ QUOTE ]
see this thread on fatwallet discussing this bed and the current sale.

I went with the consensus and bought a Queen plush bed + separate featherbed for $750 delivered. I haven't received it yet, but I think this should be a great deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folks, this deal is amazing, and I strongly suggest you should check it out before the sale ends. I ended up getting a full pillowtop Heavenly Bed for $561 delivered. Before I actually bought it, I printed out the details and went to Sleepy's, just to make sure it was as comfortable as I remembered. Sure enough, they had the bed, and it retailed for close to $1200 (the salesman gave me a 'deal' and brought it down to $750). More importantly, he also told me that if I could find it cheaper anywhere else, they'd match the price and take an additional 20% off. "O RLY? Well suck on this" as I showed him the $561 bill.

He looked in over carefully, and told me he couldn't make the exchange because the version of the Heavenly Bed that Sleepy's sells is an upgrade from the $561 bed I showed him (660 coils compaired to upgraded 800 coils). I told him thanks, but no thanks -- I'll stick with the $561 version.

"Well hold on, hold on. Let me call up Sleepy's inventory and see if we can find a comparable bed."

LOL, nice. After a 5 minutes phone conversation, they tell him they don't have that bed in stock anymore (it's discontinued), so they told him to give me the upgraded bed at the same price. Awesome. The salesman looked like he wanted to slug me in the face.

Anyway, it was delivered the next day. I spent my first night on it last night, and it truly lives up to it's name. Even better, I was lucky enough to test it out last night with this girl I'm semi-dating. It's sturdy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Didn't read replies yet, but I fully endorse Tempurpedic. I bought a King sized Deluxe mattress for a chunk of change, very ready to utilize their generous return policy if I had any doubts, but there's no way I'd give it up now. I doubt I'll ever own another type of mattress.

The only problem with it is that you get spoiled and it makes regular mattresses feel like [censored], even really nice ones.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM

I sleep on a Serta Perfect Day and also sell them. They are great beds, and right now Serta has rolled back the prices. You can save a lot of money on them. You reall yneed to lay on a bunch of mattresses to see where your comfort level is. I'd suggest laying on a mattress for 15 minutes to see how it actually feels to your body. Do some research, like epinions(dot)com where you will read testimonials from consumers.

All mattress inner springs are not the same unless you buy an off brand (Bonnell Coil Unit), which is any mattress that isn't built by Sealy Posturepedic (LFK coil unit), Simmons Beauty Rest(Marshall coil unit) or Serta Perfect Sleeper, and Perfect Day, which uses continuous wound wire to make their coil inner spring. Stearns and Foster is owned by Sealy and uses their (LFK) inner spring.

You can also choose between Visco Elastic(memory foam) beds from a number of dealers. The top two dealers, in terms of quality and density of foams are Tempurpedic and Serta.

You'll pay a hefty price for Tempurpedic, and you'll get a little hot sleeping on it, because their foam is built with a closed cell structure, meaning the foam doesn't breathe properly and circulate air throughout.

My personal choice for my next set will be Latex, specifically Talalay Latex. It does the same thing as Visco Foam, but it confroms easier and quicker to your body, which will ease your body's pressure points and that will lead to sounder sleep. You're tossing and turning at night becasue you are restricting your blood circulation.

If, as you said, you feel lower back pain your back is not being properly supported anymore. You don't necessarily need the firmest bed in the world. You need to find a bed that feels firm underneath, and soft on the top.

I'll tell you what I tell every customer who walks through my door. You need to find a matt. that feels good on your back and good on your wallet. I don't care how much my customers spend. It's their money. Don't set your mind firmly on a price though. You're going to be sleeping on it for the next 10 years so the cost is minimal in the long run. If you spend $1000 on a set your cost per night is $.27 to sleep on a great mattress.

You can definitely find a great full or queen set for under that price. If you buy a mattress only, you're going to pay about 85% of the list price. Most dealers will tell you if you don't buy the box spring your warranty will be voided.

Sorry if this is TLDR....

And please don't fall for the "Hurry up or you'll miss out on this special offer" line. That's what it is. Trust me, taht store will have that sale EVERY day. We all do.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:24 AM

I sleep in my car in the J lot at Foxwoods. My back is sore every moring, but its not so bad since I only sleep once or twice a week.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:34 PM

X-post from (now) EDF.

I'm moving to a new place and I'm looking to have a cool and comfortable bed setup for <$500 ($650 max total).

I don't particularly want memory foam, unless the product is really good (it'll likely be out of my budget if it is though.)

I was thinking of getting a large Ikea bed and frame, a Ikea foam mattress and then topping it off with a pacific coast featherbed.

Any ideas/deals/advice?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:43 PM

I slept on crappy mattresses for years and last christmas bought a bed for ~1500 all in. If necessary I would pay >10k for it. it's the best purchase you can ever make. don't skimp.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:48 PM

definitely look at http://www.intellibed.com/mattresses.php?type=ppr

I haven't experienced anything close to this good