Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Default beginner horse question

what would be the best order for a holdem player to learn the ORSE games.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: beginner horse question

Just my opinion:

Assuming you're a holdem player already I recommend you give the two split pot games your attention first. Omaha is probably the trickier of the two split games. So maybe start there. Even though a lot of folks seem to hate razz, if you boil it down you should be able to readily apply your Hold 'em skills to razz.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Holdem, Omaha, Razz, Stud and stud Eight or better.

holdem will give you a basis for understanding omaha, since they're structuraly simaler (hole cards with a community flop), so that might be a good place to start.

As for the other three games, i think learning stud high should definitly come first, since stud/8 and razz are basicly varations of that game. follow with razz (just stud played for low, usually 23457 is the best hand) and then combine your skills from each to learn stud/8 (high-low stud with an eight-or-better qualifier for the low end, A2345 is the best low hand).

just keep in mind that there are subtle differences in the structures of each game that you'll have to be concious of to avoid making stupid mistakes; It can be tricky for a beginner to keep these in mind while switching between games. for example, in omaha, you MUST use exactly two of your hole cards, while in 'ol familliar holdem, you may use just one hole card or even none to make your hand.

also, while you're at it, you may as well learn the other omaha and holdem varations: PLO, NL and PL(pot limit) holdem, and limit and PL/NL omaha hi/lo.

the best way to get started is to read the FAQs at the top of the applicable forums here and read relavant posts, if you're serious about becoming a good player, you'll want to buy a good book on each game.

GL.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what would be the best order for a holdem player to learn the ORSE games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suggest that if you want to quickly add a little profit to your HORSE game while learning the non-HE variants, learn Razz first.

Pick up the book Sklansky on Poker and read the relatively short Razz section. With just the knowledge obtained from this book (or section of this book), you'll be well ahead of a lot of your opponents, especially at the lower stakes. Now your profit comes from H and R while you learn OSE.

On a sidenote, it is my opinion that people play the split pot games way less correct than the hi-only variants. The biggest leak is chasing for 1/2 the pot (one I'm frequently guilty of as well). There's a lot of profit to be made in these variants if you can master them.

One caveat: while opponents chase 1/2 way too much and that's good, the nature of split-pot games mean they also get bailed out more frequently. In other words, say you're both going the same direction and you've got him crushed, but he catches cards on the later streets to give him the hi or lo and split with you. Sort of a parachute for them, though it really just means that it will take them longer to hit the ground.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 AM

well ive tangled into stud and razz and in those games im proprably only a slight loser if not breakeven because the opposition is piss poor but i have no idea how to play the hi/lo games
Old 06-04-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
razz (just stud played for low, usually 23457 is the best hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in any Razz game I have ever played in. Always played A-5.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well ive tangled into stud and razz and in those games im proprably only a slight loser if not breakeven because the opposition is piss poor but i have no idea how to play the hi/lo games

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you answered your own question then. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]