Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: If all bad calls were eliminated, what would be different?

[ QUOTE ]
The Seahawks would be Super Bowl champions...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't the refs had to have gotten something wrong. If you're calling holding by the letter of the law that guy is getting called for holding...that Super Bowl would actually not change at all...
Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd still be celebrating the 1985 world series

Ohio State would still be without a national title since 1968

I would still have faith in humanity and justice

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain #2. He DID grab the receiver. The flag was late and that was dumb, either throw it when it happens or don't, don't wait to see what happens first. But it was still a penalty. Plus wasn't there some bad call the series before, on a punt or something, or a Michael Jenkins third down catch that was ruled incomplete? I know a Buckeye poster will enlighten us. And since you know I'm a Michigan fan, I wouldn't defend the Buckeyes lightly.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Seahawks would be Super Bowl champions...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't the refs had to have gotten something wrong. If you're calling holding by the letter of the law that guy is getting called for holding...that Super Bowl would actually not change at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Seahawks fan who thinks that the Seahawks lost for numerous reasons other than the officials, but the guy who was held (yes it was holding) was offsides on the play. It should have been offsetting penalties.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain #2. He DID grab the receiver. The flag was late and that was dumb, either throw it when it happens or don't, don't wait to see what happens first. But it was still a penalty. Plus wasn't there some bad call the series before, on a punt or something, or a Michael Jenkins third down catch that was ruled incomplete? I know a Buckeye poster will enlighten us. And since you know I'm a Michigan fan, I wouldn't defend the Buckeyes lightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

tOSU did get robbed of a 1st down on the previous possession. I forget how many time outs "U" had left but I know that OSU would've had to pick up an additional 1st down to ice the game. Who knows if they would've, but as it played out Miami had some time to spare with the good punt return they got; so it's not as if: "the game was over if the ref didn't screw up" circa the PI flag or the tuck rule.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:43 PM

There'd be some pretty huge ramifications, though how much depends on the sport.

Look at something like college basketball, where such a high number (anyone got the exact percentage) of games where the score is 1-2 possessions' different. And I think we all know that refs screw up WAY more than 1-2 possessions/game.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:51 PM

The rules in the NFL would be changed after week 1 so that holding is basically legal, since nobody would want to watch 6-3 games with teams having to carry five quarterbacks. Actually, I take that back, every team would probably run the texas tech offense, 4 wr shotgun catch the snap and immediate throw.
Club soccer would suck like the world cup.
In basketball they already call anything that could possibly be conceived to be a foul anyway so there wouldn't be much change.
Strikeouts would increase 50% and walks would go down 25%. Avg. like 7 runs a game until the rules were changed.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2002 Buckeyes...national chumpions

let's begin with the nat'l title game
-the last play of regulation was not a penalty at all given the way the game had been officiated. He made contact within the first 5 yards and never got a handful of jersey or anything. This is much less than the standard operating procedure for Buckeye corner's that season.
-more importantly, Ward had possession. People drone on and on and on about the Clarett strip. The only problem is that he only took possession away after Ward's knee hit the ground. Ward had the ball and was running it out. It doesn't matter who had more of the ball. What matters is Ward had not lost it when his knee it. It wasn't even close! This was the key play of the game and caused tOSU to re-emerge.

Michigan game
-false start on the right side of the Buckeye line on the last td of the game went uncalled. It was this quick jump that allowed the right side to finally open a hole up for the Hall scamper.

Penn State game
-two viciously blown pass interferences, one called and one not that both went against Penn St and made the key difference in the game. Just another instance of JoePa getting screwed over, which was the tipping point for big10 instant replay.

Illinois game
-Walter Young catches the ball in the back of the endzone to set up a tie (xp pending). Ruled incomplete, but no explanation was ever given. At the end of the season, ESPN's studio show gave worst player of the year in college football to Big10 officials (I think their blown calls in the ND-FSU game sealed it) with Mark May specifically saying "Walter Young, catch!"

Northwestern game
-Early in the season and the game was still quite competitive when the officials missed not one, not two, but three missed sideline out of bounds calls at key moments.

the NC state fiasco didn't happen until the next season.

This was the worst champion of college football that I can remember, including the teams that lost a game. Every call, for some reason or another, went their way. It's a shame, because there are a handful of tOSU teams that were better than the 2002 version, yet were not quite as fortunate.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:00 PM

Good work - I vaguely remember the Illinois game but not the others. Tennessee in '99 was a total sham too.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:05 PM

2002 OSU team was the first thing I thought of
Old 10-30-2006, 09:07 PM

Hmmm...now that your analysis has them losing (possibly) to Michigan, I whole-heartedly agree! Seriously, when it isn't a dispositive play (ie the last one, or one in which the correct call effectively ends the game), all it does is alter the probability that they lose. And I'm sure there are some calls that could go in their favor as well if you really went back. But this is basically going to be the case in most 1-possession games.

Bah, I can't believe I'm defending Buckeyes. I need to watch my tape of the 2004 game and remember that whole wretched experience to rekindle the hate.