Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 11:57 AM

Default Info On Zambia?

I'm going there soon, I have a few questions for anyone who might know stuff:

In the cities what is the common mode of transport? taxi's, or something like a tuk tuk or rickshaw? How much should these cost?

Are American dollars as accepted as local currency? Is it easy to break a $100 bill?

Is haggling the norm? About by how much will a local try to inflate the price for a whitey like myself?

For what if anything are tips expected? How much?

Are people in general obnoxious/loud like say americans or chinese people, or more reserved like say Thais? Is there any certain type of thing I might do while communicating that unintentionally could come off seeming rude?

Are there any particular scams I should be looking out for?

When at a night club, will the peacock factor(only white guy in a club) work for me? I am 24 fwiw.

Is there any resentment towards white people from some? What's the general attitude towards white people?

And anything else you think I should know I'd be glad to hear it.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Info On Zambia?

Peachy did a trip report on a trip to Africa recently.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:42 PM

Lonely Planet and Rough Guides might be your best sources.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lonely Planet and Rough Guides might be your best sources.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would think so, but they haven't seemed to help me out an incredible amount in the past
Old 12-29-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going there soon, I have a few questions for anyone who might know stuff:

In the cities what is the common mode of transport? taxi's, or something like a tuk tuk or rickshaw? How much should these cost?

Are American dollars as accepted as local currency? Is it easy to break a $100 bill?

Is haggling the norm? About by how much will a local try to inflate the price for a whitey like myself?

For what if anything are tips expected? How much?

Are people in general obnoxious/loud like say americans or chinese people, or more reserved like say Thais? Is there any certain type of thing I might do while communicating that unintentionally could come off seeming rude?

Are there any particular scams I should be looking out for?

When at a night club, will the peacock factor(only white guy in a club) work for me? I am 24 fwiw.

Is there any resentment towards white people from some? What's the general attitude towards white people?

And anything else you think I should know I'd be glad to hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most common is taxis or taxi type vehicles (group busses, sometimes backs of trucks, etc.) Yes they will take USD but its not smart because then they see you as rich and will either super rip u off or in some cases rob you.

Umm, when I was there people couldnt break $5, so $100 noway, MAYBE MAYBE a hotel can break it if you are lucky, but the one hotel that did for me had to give me the local currency in half the money because they couldnt come up with the rest. Frequently, I had to just give people $5 because they said they couldnt break it, even though I had a feeling they might of had $1's, they get used to tourist saying they need the change and if they say they dont have it most say fine whatever dont worry about it - so they are even further reinfoced to either not have change or deny that they do.

Yes, haggling is the norm, I sorta feel bad doing it, but I have gotten over that in my traveling to alot of 3rd world countires. I wont go super low on them because I know they need to eat but I definately dont pay asking prices (this is in local markets etc., not in "regular" stores).

I tipped at every opportunity I could, but Im a big tipper normally. Most people there dont get tipped and I was told not to tip taxi drivers, but I did anyway and it was greatly appreciated. (I used the same taxi driver everywhere I went in Durban for 1 1/2 months like 2+ times a day and I tipped him every time, 10 to 20% - it was cheap anyway so it didnt matter - and it will be even cheaper in Zambia) Id say 10% is fine. Most things I tipped - taxis (not the buses though I didnt want others knowning I had more money), resturants, hotel employees, heli pilots (I had one man tear up and say that he had never recieved a tip in 10 years), etc. If you are low on $ its ok not to I guess, but anything extra they greatly apprecitate.

They dont differentiate races as much over there, its pretty clear cut - you are either local or foreign. I didnt get any different treatment because I was American, although in some areas I am sure being American could cause some people to treat you differently than other "foreigners". When I felt like this was going to happen I would usually say I was from Canada, because its a place most people dont pay alot of political attention to even if they know where it is, you have to remember most of these people dont get tv, newspapers, etc. so all thier infomation is hearsay if they even hear any at all - so either thier knowledge of the US is little or totally twisted or they could care less because you are bringing $ into thier country. I wouldnt worry about this SO much, these people have so many problems within thier own country that few actively look for others from other countries to take thier aggressions/problems out on. Bottom line, you wont be able to communicate with most of them anyways. Its either there are Zim that has 70+ national languages, so you are LUCKY if someone speaks a little english. Near Victoria Falls is going to be the easiest to communicate and get around "safely", becuase here they are used to the HUGE tourist influx and most people working around there speak english, but unfortunately the local armed guard with automatics dont speak it around there - so dont make them mad!!! :-)

Clubs can be super dangerous because the people of this age are more educated and politically active than the rest of the population, therefore they will either dislike you because your American or assume you are some local white who thinks they are better. This doesnt ALWAYS happen, but this is usually the scenerio. As white girls over there, it was easier for us, well because we are girls. One of the guys we were with got harrassed some until we said he was with us. If you are going there, go to have fun with yourself and drink, be careful hitting on locals, you dont need trouble in this kind of a country. Go for other girls who are traveling too, etc. Not trying to sound pessimistic about the clubs, some where fun, you just gotta use your head! Also, ask trusted locals (hotel people, people youve met) tosuggest clubs for you - some are more "biast" than others on whos in the club whether it be based on race, that its for locals only, etc. Just play it safe!!

I cant think of other things to add, you need to ask things....