Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Thinking About Doing Limit

Eh, we have antes and we nag each other. We're all friends. It works. Best thing is to keep the ante in front of you until they're all accounted for.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:02 PM

I agree with those who said that .50/1.00 would work better for HE. I would think that most people would want to buy-in for around $30 0r $40 at these levels. Also, you will want to think about at what point to cap the betting (ie. a 3 bet cap), otherwise you will have a REALLY SLOW game with people raising and reraising until the cows come home.

I think that if you can get people to play a limit game, they will find that they really enjoy it. Most people don't consider that in limit the average pot size is usually bigger than in NLHE games (though I can see the arguments coming already). Playing limit with bad players is like having an ATM without all the huge swings of a no limit game.

As for stud, I would stear clear until you get settled in with a regular limit game. For one, stud is much slower. If the players aren't used to playing stud, it will drive them crazy. Also, it will take time for people to get used to the rules of stud. You will have to get people used to antes, the bring in bets, and the first action moving between high hands on different streets. Also, you will need more chips of different denominations to take care of the previously mentioned action.

A good way to start playing stud is to start out with LHE and the at some point play a mixed game. Play Holdem for the first half of the night and stud the second half...or change up every hour.

These are just my 2 cents. Good luck with your game.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:58 AM

I will echo what others have said:

In our home games we love to start things pretty tame and usually make the game bigger and bigger as the night moves on. We usually start off playing limit holdem and a few rotations of limit O8, stud, razz, triple draw or whatever. Then we start calling no limit holdem or Pot Limit Omaha with a pretty low cap. The low cap promotes action as the gamblers can cap it preflop or on the flop and nobody really gets hurt too bad. Then the cap slowly gets raised and maybe lifted as the night draws to an end.

Playing like this, nobody busts out early, and we still get the great drunk late night action.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never play limit so I have no idea how many big bets people usually buy in for.

[/ QUOTE ]

15-25 is typical, with 1-2 buyins as backup in pocket.

"If we were going to play .25/.50 HE,"
Limit, or NL? If the latter, make the blinds 0.50/0.50 and solve your problem.