Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Do you think this player was cheating...? (Random Home game)

Yes he should have shown by rule, no he probably wasn't cheating.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 PM

Since SB took the last aggressive action, the etiquette calls for him to show his hand. Being that the BB called, he is entitled to see SBs hand before he has to reveal what he has.

What you will often see happen is that the SB flashes a Jack, and then BB folds his hand into the muck. If this happens, SB need not show both cards, as he is now the only player left with a hand, and wins by default. If the BB tabled his AT, SB must show both cards to win.

Per Robert's Rules, any player dealt in at the beginning of the hand can request and is allowed to see both cards even if the hand has been mucked. Of course, the offender in OP being the host can say that the house has not adopted Robert's and per his house rules, he doesn't have to show.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
80/20 he was cheating..i use to be a cheat/ card mechanic and was able to deal myself quads whenever i wanted and when ever i got called down i only showed 1 ( a set) because showing quads often looks a lil sketchy obv lol

[/ QUOTE ]
how does not showing the other card indicate that he's cheating?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
80/20 he was cheating..i use to be a cheat/ card mechanic and was able to deal myself quads whenever i wanted and when ever i got called down i only showed 1 ( a set) because showing quads often looks a lil sketchy obv lol

[/ QUOTE ]
how does not showing the other card indicate that he's cheating?

[/ QUOTE ]

The implication is that host cheated to give himself JJ and the original Jack that he copied showed up to foil him. Revealing both his hole cards would show 5 Jacks, and make his cheating evident.

Hence Annorax's suggestion for the dealer to muck the hand, award the pot to AT, and then immediately count down the deck to see if 53 cards are somehow present.

<font color="white">and KITN means "kick in the nuts"</font>
Old 03-16-2007, 05:39 PM

Am I missing something here? If it is a homegame where the deal passes clockwise around the table, how could he have dealt himself anything? They dealer should have been sitting to his left which could raise the question of collusion. But my gut feeling is that I agree with those who said that he was probably playing J/little and didn't like being asked to show his cards in his own home at his own game. I am not agreeing with his actions, it is just my gut feeling. This has come up at my game and at every other home game that I have ever played at...we always have agreed that both cards do not have to be shown at showdown unless someone asks to see the other card at which time the card must be revealed. Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:37 PM

It's really pretty simple. His other card was a joker left in the deck. He figured he'd get a free roll out of it. If it went bad for him he'd just show a bad hand and claim it as a misdeal. But it turned out good and he was only able to show one card. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Decks get fouled for a variety of reasons and this is why it's good to have a show both cards rule.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm feeling like 99% that he just had a [censored] jack, like J2, and didn't want to show that he raised with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yes, it's standard rule, but in a home game, if he wants it to not be a rule, then it's not a rule as long as it's always not a rule. I won't play without this as a rule, but there's other rules I think are stupid and do away with in my home games. I hate the I Want To See That Hand rule, and since collusion isn't a problem, if someone wants to muck their cards, let them. I think IWTSTH is bad for the game, and they never used it at the best club in NYC back in the day, so I don't see why I should, either.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Decks get fouled for a variety of reasons and this is why it's good to have a show both cards rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good rule because one card isn't a freaking hand. It's just a card.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:00 PM

beck, he wasn't the dealer, he was the small blind.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:34 PM

yea, if he wont expose his second card then he loses the hand and his cards are dead. I dont think he was cheating tho, i have found lots of players that try just showing one card.