Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Post if your wife is pregnant

[ QUOTE ]
oh that sucks. Your wife may well be right though. It would be up to the doctor to warn you. Did he give you any indication of likelihoods or anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

He did use the phrase "I'm not God" a number of times, which I found interesting, when I asked him what his best guess was. But I pressed him on explaining what these "soft markers" were, and he said that the other 11 markers looked good. Things like hand/feet development, tibia length, ear and nose development, something to do with the heart, etc. The ultrasound was almost an hour long, so it appeared to be rather thorough.

After I got home, I started looking up the kidney disorder, and it appears that its fairly common in boys, and might turn out to be something that just requires some surgery after birth, antibiotics, or in the best case scenario, it resolves itself further along in the pregnancy.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oh that sucks. Your wife may well be right though. It would be up to the doctor to warn you. Did he give you any indication of likelihoods or anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

He did use the phrase "I'm not God" a number of times, which I found interesting, when I asked him what his best guess was. But I pressed him on explaining what these "soft markers" were, and he said that the other 11 markers looked good. Things like hand/feet development, tibia length, ear and nose development, something to do with the heart, etc. The ultrasound was almost an hour long, so it appeared to be rather thorough.

After I got home, I started looking up the kidney disorder, and it appears that its fairly common in boys, and might turn out to be something that just requires some surgery after birth, antibiotics, or in the best case scenario, it resolves itself further along in the pregnancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's hoping that this all turns out to be a bunch of worrying for nothing. It's good that you were able to look this up in order to ease your mind a little bit.

I also agree with your wife. I took a "Medical Malpractice and the Law" course in University, and I can attest to the fact that doctors are definitely obligated to inform you of such things -- even if the odds of something really being wrong are extremely minimal. The doctor needs to cover his butt and be able to prove to a judge later on that he did inform you of the risk, just in case something *does* end up going wrong later on.

The fact that he said "I'm not God" should not be taken as either a good or a bad thing. He can't give you a definitive opinion, he can just let you know all of the facts. In his heart of hearts, he probably knows that there's very very little chance of something being wrong. However, he has to cover his butt for the slim chance that something does end up being wrong.

That being said, if the doctor really thought that there was a good chance that there was something seriously wrong with your baby, he would definitely tell you. He wouldn't hide this from you in order to spare your feelings. The fact that he's been a little ambiguous is definitely a good thing.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to offer my condolences too. Hopey has always been one of my favorite OOT posters and this made me so sad to hear.

Best wishes for the new year to come, Hopey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm sure we'll be fine and will be able to put my name back up on the tote board before too long. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thank you to everyone who posted on here and PM'd me with well-wishes. It is much appreciated.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to offer my condolences too. Hopey has always been one of my favorite OOT posters and this made me so sad to hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm sure we'll be fine and will be able to put my name back up on the tote board before too long. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thank you to everyone who posted on here and PM'd me with well-wishes. It is much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopey,

I hope to see it soon. I predict a November baby for you. DCasper will attest I have the power to influence the universe in this way.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopey,

I hope to see it soon. I predict a November baby for you. DCasper will attest I have the power to influence the universe in this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet...if you're right, would you like me to name my first-born "Fonzie Hope" or would you prefer "Al Bundy Hope"? It's the least I can do.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:08 PM

Al is a good name for a boy. Peggy for a girl.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopey,

[/ QUOTE ]
The man is truly amazing.
If there wasn't an ocean between db and my wife, I might be suspicious...

But Lord help me, if she pops out looking like this, I'm booking a flight my friend...
Old 12-28-2006, 04:42 PM

First time opening this thread. While my girlfriend isn't pregnant, I still wanted to post to congratulate all of you future parents and future parents of another. Babies are fantastic little things [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats everyone, and condolences, Hopey. Try again soon.

Jay is 7 weeks old now and last night he made his first unmistakable social smile, responding to my wife's laughter. That pretty much made my week.

Mom is very tired but things are getting better... he usually goes to sleep at 11ish, wakes up once during the night for a bottle, and then sleeps till morning. A sight better than sleep 15 minutes, awake 1 hour, sleep 15 minutes...

He is the greatest thing I've ever been a part of, and I can't wait to have another one. (How 'bout a girl, God?)

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, here's my boy...

Old 12-28-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats everyone, and condolences, Hopey. Try again soon.

Jay is 7 weeks old now and last night he made his first unmistakable social smile, responding to my wife's laughter. That pretty much made my week.

Mom is very tired but things are getting better... he usually goes to sleep at 11ish, wakes up once during the night for a bottle, and then sleeps till morning. A sight better than sleep 15 minutes, awake 1 hour, sleep 15 minutes...

He is the greatest thing I've ever been a part of, and I can't wait to have another one. (How 'bout a girl, God?)

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, here's my boy...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice pics Drew!! Thanks for posting them.
He is adorable!