Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Brandon Adams, King of Ratholing???

I responded to this but it looks like there was a server change or something.

I don't buy-in short, leave, then buy-in short again. That's ratholing. I shortstack. I believe that if all the players at the table are pretty good, then you give up a lot by not starting with a short-stack. Note that David Benyamine, the biggest winner in PLO, always starts with 16k at 2-4. I usually don't leave when my stack grows, though sometimes I do. There are very strong theoretical adv to starting with a short stack. Also, correct short stack play is insanely aggressive and looks like super-tilt.

I shouldn't have left that one time against Patrick b/c it was a heads up table. The reason I left is no mystery... I think I have an edge against him short stack on short stack (this might not be true), but not deep stack on deep stack. The fact that I left was no shocker to Patrick b/c in the past we've very frequently played HU PLO matches that go like this..... I start with 8 and leave if I get to 25, then start at a new table and leave if I get to 25, and so on. It was kind of stupid to ask him not to reload... the point was that I was willing to play him if we didn't get too deep.

CAsh Poker--- my results for four sessions are +92, -12, -32, and +77, but of course I spewed chips on some individual hands.

Brandon
Old 04-09-2007, 06:33 PM

if you're playing hu with somebody and you leave, then buy in short at a different table hu with the same guy, i would still consider it rat holing.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:48 PM

Fair enough Brandon. In all seriousness, would you mind elaborating on the strong theoretical advantages? I would be interested in hearing them if they have not already been discussed.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM

We all play this game with the purpose of trying to take someone elses money and not lose our own. Who cares what strategy someone uses to play the game.

By the way, what is his screen name? (just curious)
Old 04-09-2007, 07:42 PM

wins_pot
Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 PM

id hardly consider it ratholing if patrick continues to play brandon hu when brandon switches tables to buyin for the min. its only ratholing when players are interfering with 3+ handed games.

brandon will only play pat short cause he thinks thats the only way he has an edge. if pat continues to play him its because he thinks brandons wrong. i see it as no different than durrr telling rugby hell only play him if rugby agrees to 11 tables or whatever it was. durrr thinks that gives him the edge.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats his s/n??

[/ QUOTE ]

wins_small_pot
Old 04-10-2007, 04:23 AM

For the hell of it.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i see it as no different than durrr telling rugby hell only play him if rugby agrees to 11 tables or whatever it was. durrr thinks that gives him the edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think a better analogy would be durr sitting with rugby, winning a stack, then sitting out and refusing to play unless rugby agreed to 11 tables.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i see it as no different than durrr telling rugby hell only play him if rugby agrees to 11 tables or whatever it was. durrr thinks that gives him the edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think a better analogy would be durr sitting with rugby, winning a stack, then sitting out and refusing to play unless rugby agreed to 11 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this something that was actually discussed? (and where?) or is this just an example that you're throwing out?