Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Spoketh

Sklansky uses a sample size of one event to come up with his theory. Until white flight stops happening in American cities, shopping malls, and movie theaters, I can't imagine proclaiming that things are different. My guess is that Sklansky hangs out with a bunch of politically correct poker players and apparently never reads up on white flight or urban housing patterns. If he would do so he might have a different point of view.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Black People

Well skippy, you put your foot in your mouth again. [ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, there actually is some truth to these last two posts. A recent study (Harton, et al., 2006) showed that white political liberals were more likely to be covert racists than white political conservatives. However, white conservatives were more likely than white liberals to be overt racists.

Regardless of political orientation, all white participants showed the same signs of physiological reactivity (as measured by increased heart rate I believe) when physical contact was made by an african american experimenter. (Physiological reactivity was less overall when contact was made by a white experimenter).

[/ QUOTE ]
White liberal racist, shouldn't that be another NEW TYPE OF RACISM? If you are trying to say that the Clintons sent thier lilly white meat daughter to a lilly white all girls school so that she would not be tainted by dark meat I would have to agree 100% I don't really think that that was your point but I wanted to get that in there somewhere. Sending the girl to that school was racist to me as well as being very eliete.

I wonder what your black researcher looked like. Blacks in the 70 had those afro hair cuts and they could hide weapons in them. This was to cause fear. Now these chumps white and black try to dress like some bad ass prison stud. If that is what your researcher looked like I am sure that there was some fear whether the researcher was black or white or any color in between.

Hey skippy, while we are on this topic of new models of racism, what do you think of the blacks that discriminate between light skinned blacks. They call them "high yeller". Where did they learn the hate of thier own race?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
During this All Star weekend, I noticed that about 40% of the customers were black. Normally its about 15%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you serving chicken or watermelon?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:43 PM

Remember when you were just a child and you somehow felt uncomfortable in the presence of a black person or a homeless person or a wheelchaired person? Alot of society does not want you to talk about this. In fact, it wants you practice (secretly) covering up these feelings so that when you reach adulthood, you seemingly view everyone as equal. The process is similar to a novice poker player who must learn to hide feelings of nervousness - when he reaches maturity in his game he can now bluff while showing strength...

Acts of violence due to racist mindsets should not be tolerated - But people should be able to feel the way they want! Society's way of forcing people how to feel and act is worse to me than racism.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the acceptance of black people has been accelerated by the fact that white people's prejudice are now focused on Middle Easterners (because of terrorism) and Hispanics (because of illegal aliens).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the otherday I was sitting on my porch and i saw a black guy, a mexican guy, and an arab walking down the street. The black guy got to leave cause I only had 2 bullets lmao
Old 03-03-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fear of politically correct thought police retribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew after I had read the first part of your nonsense that you'd somehow work "political correctness" in there.

I guess I'd complain too if people held me accountable for for saying insensitive, stupid, and illogical things.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:57 AM

Sklanksy,

These comments are totally unnecessary, and really have little to do with poker. And even if you decided to make a trivial post, it could have easily been on something more interesting not dealing with racism. I am dissapointed because your comments could even be taken as borderline racist.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 PM

I don't think Sklansky's comments could be considered racist at all in this thread. They are pure PC.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no doubt that the black community in the US makes life more "colorful". On the other hand, if you get stabbed and robbed at night, chances are it will be a black guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably because one's class position governs access to the types of crimes that you can commit.

If you get your pension fund looted by a white collar criminal, then the chances are that the person who robs you will be a white guy.

Also, to the person who made the claim that 20x more black people are in prison because they commit 20x more crimes -- this is also fallacious. Conviction rates have less to do with the numbers of offences committed, and far more to do with the patterns of policing employed.

Take, for example, drug dealing. Many, many more black people are in prison for drug dealing than white people. This isn't because there are more black drug dealers. All the estimates that I've seen put the numbers at about equal.

However, white drug dealers are more likely to sell to personal contacts, and much less likely to be serving up in open air drug markets. However, on order to gain access to these lucrative white markets, black drug dealers have to stand on street corners pitching to passers by.

Police are much more likely to identify the latter as a public order problem. Also, open air markets are much easier for a random cop to access and make a buy than are people selling in friendship networks, where you would first need an introduction from a trusted person. Consequently, they target open air markets to a far greater extent than friendship networks, thus leading to the inequitable distribution of black drug dealers in prison.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually Skippy, our resident student to obtain a PHD in one of the social sciences could probably tell you that in England that blacks outpreform all other races in school achievement. That is across the board, not just the rich blacks but the poor and middle class as well.

Sort of makes you wonder about several things, or it should.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would if it were true. Unfortunately, it isn't. Academic underachievement among afro-caribbean boys is just as big an issue here in the UK as it is in the USA.

Failure of black boys must be tackled - but is "apartheid schooling" the solution?

Trevor Phillips, the chairman of the Commission for Racial Equality, has emphasised the need to tackle the academic underachievement of African-Caribbean boys. Only 31.9% of black boys achieved five A to C passes last year, against a national average of 51.9%, and there are twice as many black men in prison as there are in university. Phillips has suggested that black boys be taught separately from whites, in a bid to improve their academic performance. He staged a conference in London, at which leading black academic, Dr Stan Mims, told of the success of the idea in the US. On taking control of the education department of East St Louis, Illinois, last year, Mims introduced the measure of separating some black boys for English, maths and science lessons. "We pull black boys out based on their ability to master certain skills," he explained, "they are not separated in terms of the entire school. They are only pulled out in their school based on certain mastery of literacy or numeracy or science." He said there had been "large gains" in local examinations this year, but stressed that success depended on parental support.

Phillips has pointed to examples of segregation in the UK which have already yielded good results. The Windsor Fellowship, for example, runs a programme exclusively for ethnic minority children, where they are mentored and given extra lessons. In London last year 100% of their students passed five or more good GCSEs, in Birmingham the figure was 75%. A boys' school in South London that provides a six-week course for black pupils has seen the proportion getting five good GCSEs rise from 25.6% to 44.4% in two years.

The idea of separation has met with strong criticism. Keith Vaz, the Labour MP for Leicester East - the constituency with the largest percentage of ethnic minorities in the country, summed up widespread fears that the measure of "segregation" would lead to "educational apartheid". He added "If the state education system is failing Afro-Caribbean boys, then it is up to the education system to provide the extra resources within the mainstream classroom." Sir Michael Wilshaw, former head of St Bonaventure's boys' comprehensive in east London, where three-quarters of pupils are from ethnic minorities, and 78% achieved five or more A* to C grades in GCSE in 2003, said that segregation would merely "reinforce a feeling that [ethnic minority] pupils are different".

Professor David Gilborn of London University's Institute of Education, an expert on race education, supported Trevor Phillips in raising the issue, "He was trying to open up a conversation that says if you're serious about addressing this issue you have to do some things differently for different ethnic groups". In March 2005, headteachers insisted that schools must address problems with boys' education across the board, not focus on specific groups. Last year, 18.3% of British white boys on free school meals got five or more A* to C grades at GCSE, compared with 19.3% of black boys on free school meals. However, Phillips emphasised that "among those boys who are better-off, African-Caribbeans are twice as likely to fall below the threshold, indicting that the main cause of the performance differential is definitely not poverty."

Research in the UK and US shows that policies that sought to treat individuals of all colours the same "failed because white professionals tended to have lower expectations of black pupils" (TES). Black pupils are four times more likely to be excluded than other pupils nationally, according to research by Ofsted; however, Phillips pointed out that "nearly half these boys' sisters make the grade, despite growing up in the same homes and being of the same social class". He warned that the problem was becoming generational, and that black boys suffered from a culture in which being clever was not "cool", and good role models were lacking, "the critical mass of failure is threatening to turn this community into a permanent, irrevocable underclass", he said.

He insisted that the "simplistic argument" that underachieving black boys are the victims of discrimination from white teachers does not account for the fact that Chinese and Indian children, who are just as likely to come from poor backgrounds and to face racism, typically do nearly three times as well as black boys, "our historical bleating about racist teachers, class barriers and irrelevant curriculum has not moved the performance of these kids one iota. We can apply the brakes to this cycle of failure. I for one refuse to sit back and watch another generation fall by the wayside".