Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Black People

During this All Star weekend, I noticed that about 40% of the customers were black. Normally its about 15%. But in spite of the fact that the crowds were a lot younger and blacker than usual, I never detected a hint of prejudice. No incidents, or even subtle actions or aloofness. I understand that it is easier to be polite when you are a millionaire, but I'm old enough to remember when there was always at least some signs of discomfort in situations like these.

So does that mean that this country has become basically colorblind? Possibly. But I have another theory. I believe that the acceptance of black people has been accelerated by the fact that white people's prejudice are now focused on Middle Easterners (because of terrorism) and Hispanics (because of illegal aliens). Add that to the fact that whites have noticed how many black people have died, along with white people, both at the World Trade Center, and fighting in Iraq, and you have a situation where mild bigots look elsewhere. If so this is one small silver lining regarding the otherwise unpleasant events of the last few years. Agree or disagree?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Black People

[ QUOTE ]
Add that to the fact that whites have noticed how many black people have died, along with white people, both at the World Trade Center, and fighting in Iraq, and you have a situation where mild bigots look elsewhere

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a crock of s***. Might seem like a good reason for not being racist, but it absolutely does not have any effect on any racist thoughts people might have.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:16 PM

People don't have a finite amount of prejudice. It doesn't run out and they don't have to reallocate it. That's a silly idea.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People don't have a finite amount of prejudice. It doesn't run out and they don't have to reallocate it. That's a silly idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this guy + the fact just because <font color="red"> YOU </font> didnt seen anything, doesnt mean nothing happened.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this guy + the fact just because <font color="red"> YOU </font> didnt seen anything, doesnt mean nothing happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I feel that the overall trend of 'white America' is a greater acceptance of 'black people' in more areas of society, I think we are still really far from some utopian situation where the walls of prejudice between blacks and whites are torn down.

This also goes for all other 'races.' Anti-Arab and -Mexican feelings have received a lot of attention recently, but they have always been there and were probably worse in the past.

I would imagine that if Sklansky is black, he would see acts of prejudice much more frequently than he does now.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:38 PM

I agree that with the current political/social stuff, black people are definitely closer to the nebulous "Us" than "Them" than they ever have been, and that this is a good thing.

Meaning that if you take a random white Middle American, he will feel much more connected with a black guy than with an Arab or Mexican. This is only good because he probably interacts with black people a lot more than with the others.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a crock of s***. Might seem like a good reason for not being racist, but it absolutely does not have any effect on any racist thoughts people might have

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I wouldn't respond to a comment like this, but the only thing that is virtually absolute in this thread is that you are wrong. An extreme statement like this can't be true.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:44 PM

David, shouldn't it be obvious that the percentage of blacks in a room is (at least somewhat) inversely related to number of incidents that would take place.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:57 PM

The younger the person, the less race is even an issue. The biggest proof of this is how comfortably high school students interact with, and date, people of other races. In the school my children went to, you get baffled looks if you ask whether interracial dating is an issue. It is considered a bizarre question.

However, Sklansky's comment about millionaires is worth considering. Differences are often about class as much as about race. As more blacks reach the middle class, "black people" are much less of a monolith, polticially or any other way. (Has anyone noticed how many blacks are running for high office, in both major parties?) After all, a black dentist or judge probably has at least as much in common with the upper-class white people who live on his block than he does with people, of whatever race, in the local "projects".

By the way, my extended family is mutilracial (black (Carribean)/white/hispanic/Native American) because of adoptions. There are 3 biracial children and one multiracial. Are they to identify only with those of similar skin color? Sometimes the whole racial thing is just silly. In poker, and in life, ultimately we are all individaul humans, all worthy of the same respect.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:57 PM

Hi David,

While I do not doubt what you observed, I doubt your explanation for why. Psychologists have identified at least two new phenomon that can explain what you witnessed.

1. Covert Racism. As being outwardly racist has become more and more stigmatized, cover racism has developed. In covert racism, as the name suggests, people do not overtly express their racism. There they do so more covertly, often in simple ways which cannot be considered criminal (e.g. not holding the door for a person of another race).

2. Reverse racism. I know this isn't the exact term for it (I can't remember the psychological name for it) but it is representative of the phenomenon. In reverse racism, a person is so afraid of being labeled a racist, that he or she goes above and beyond being helpful in the way he or she would to a person of his or her own race. For example, a white female shop owner might be extra-considerate to an african american customer to "prove" that she isn't racist.

While both of these phenomenon seem to be reducing the number of racially motivated crimes (acts of discrimination) in the United States, they are not reducing racial stereotyping (negative thoughts about a particular race) or racial prejudice (negative feelings about a particular race).

R. Sherman
Ph. D. Student Personality/Social Psychology