Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Circuit City much worse than Walmart

Circuit City has just told it's veteran workers who have moved up in their wage scale over the years that they are going to be fired and replaced by new workers who will be hired at minimum wage!! I could imagaine the outrage if Walmart tried to do this lol.

Long term Circuit City employees were told they could reapply after 10 weeks but would have to start out making what the new people are making. I think this will have nightmarish effect on morale there and the new workers will have no reason to even try to do a good job knowing this is how they will be treated.

Moral of the story: Shop at Costco. For God's sake don't reward the corporate criminals at Circuit City by shopping there.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Circuit City much worse than Walmart

The moral of the story is don't work for big retail chains.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Circuit City has just told it's veteran workers who have moved up in their wage scale over the years that they are going to be fired and replaced by new workers who will be hired at minimum wage!! I could imagaine the outrage if Walmart tried to do this lol.

Long term Circuit City employees were told they could reapply after 10 weeks but would have to start out making what the new people are making. I think this will have nightmarish effect on morale there and the new workers will have no reason to even try to do a good job knowing this is how they will be treated.

Moral of the story: Shop at Costco. For God's sake don't reward the corporate criminals at Circuit City by shopping there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't find any argument in your post to say why we shouldn't shop there and why the are 'criminals'.

To me it seems that they're trying to compete, and have low prices. I would shop there if they can outcompete the competition, based on my values (which are price but other factors as well). In my particular case I don't care about sales personel expertise, because I usually know more about the product than them anyway.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for Costco [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (At least while Jim Senegal is still around I guess lol)
Old 03-30-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you don't understand is that margins in retail are razor thin. If they can replace their current workers with ones who are willing to work for a fraction of the price that is exactly what they should do. It will translate into lower prices for the consumer because the industry is so very competitive.

This moves helps CC operate more efficiently. Any time a company does something more efficiently than before it is only a good thing.

If they could profitably replace all their workers with robot workers that would be an incredible development for the economy. Consumer surplus would go way up because prices would tank.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 AM

Why is this in Politics?
It might be a poor or wise business decision. That's the beauty of capitalism. We'll soon find out.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:12 AM

OOT thread
Old 03-30-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And stay in school.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM

ojc,

There's more to life than low prices and efficiency. Hitler was just trying to make the Aryan race run more efficiently after all.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 AM

I bet if you polled all those vetern workers 6 months ago, the majority would have said that 'unions were a good thing, but their time has passed, no need for them in today's world'. LOL