Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Playing small pocket pairs from BB in unraised pot

Suppose that you are in big blind and pick up a small pocket pair (e.g., 22-55) and that there are about three to four limpers when the action gets to you.

I used to default auto-limp in this situation and play for set value. Recently, however, I've been raising in this situation (to maybe something like 8 or 9 times the big blind). I either pick up the pot pre-flop or with a continuation bet on the flop.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this approach of raising in this situation. I realize that there are a lot of considerations (e.g., relative stack sizes, opponent tendencies, etc,). Assume for this question that no has fewer than 40BBs and that you are relatively new to the table, so have no solid reads.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Playing small pocket pairs from BB in unraised pot

I've done both, and I think playing for set value is much better OOP.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:00 PM

why create a big pot oop w/ no solid reads? If the table is relatively tight and you can take it down or get heads up then raisey daisey, but if you're likely to get 3 callers even with a big raise, then just check it and get paid off from their looseness after the flop. With no reads though, I would keep it on the conservative side.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:06 PM

your basically turning this hand into a complete bluff, except for the extremely rare chance you flop a set and get action post flop your hand might as well be 72o. if you want to run a complete bluff why not do it with a trash hand, and use your small pairs to play for set value on cheap flops.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM

Raise PF is vastly superior to checking your option for multiple reasons. You can take down the pot PF sometimes with the raise from the BB. You can thin the field and take the pot down with a c-bet on the flop. Also, you create a larger flop for when you flop a set. The money is SOOOO much easier to get in the middle in a raised pot than an unraised pot. Its very difficult to get the money in the middle in an unraised pot without overbetting the pot on a few of the streets OR the villain has a good hand and is raising you somewhere in the hand. Whereas in a raised pot, it is easier to get the money in since there is more money in the pot going to the flop.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:15 PM

Raise preflop + blind c-bet costs near 12-15 BB. I don't think that's worth it.

cbboy, your argument is fine, for raising IP.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:21 PM

Its the superior play even when in the blinds. Just think about the amount of times you take down the pot PF or on the flop with a c-bet. And think about the time you stack someone when you hit a set (like I said previously, its extremely difficult to stack someone in an unraised pot unless they are raising you at some point in the hand or you overbet a few streets [assuming 100bb's]).
Old 11-05-2007, 01:25 PM

I do both depending on the table but check way more often. I used to raise 100% of the time but I don't think that's a great strategy.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Also forgot to ask, why would you raise after 3 limpers on the button with a small PP, but decide to check it in the BB after 3 limpers?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:32 PM

After checking my PT stats I'm willing to change my statement. It actually seems raising is way more profitable. Small sample size in this database though.