Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 07:21 PM

Default overpair vs. paired board on turn

button is loose. once i bet the river, i think i need to call his raise, but should i be slowing down on the turn here? i think i might check fold/ call a small bet on the turn if he were deeper, but I don't know what to do when he is shortstacked.

thanks.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $24.10
Hero (BB): $45.75
UTG: $83.95
CO: $19.45
BTN: $14.90

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, BTN calls $0.25, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, BTN calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.25</font>, BTN calls $1.25

Turn: ($4.30) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.75</font>, BTN calls $2.75

River: ($9.80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $5.50</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises all-in to $10.05</font>, Hero calls $4.55

Pot Size: $29.90 ($1.45 Rake)
<font color="white">BTN had T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a full house, Jacks full of Eights) and WON (+$13.55)
Hero had A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Jacks) and LOST (-$14.90)</font>
Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: overpair vs. paired board on turn

I would raise more PF - probably to 1.25 and bet full on the flop for sure. On the turn, I'd probably pop out 2/3 of the pot (and fold to a huge raise probably) then check/fold the river. You aren't beating anything but a bluff on the river.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:30 PM

pls dont post the results (-&gt; read the sticky)

in general, u should raise more preflop.

ure getting 1:3, u should ask yourself if this opponent would do that with a hand u can beat in more than 25% of the time. i doubt it.

if hes a more solid player, ull have to consider he called u on the flop with his top pair.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:42 PM

Raise preflop should be higher, like everyone said.
And on the river, most of the hands that would have called on the flop have you beat right now. Fold.

uNL players basicly never joke around when they move allin on the river when they called down.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:44 PM

thanks for the replies. is betting the river in the first place a bad idea, or do you suggest bet/folding?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

uNL players basicly never joke around when they move allin on the river when they called down.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good point.

There are not any big draws that completed on the river, and you're really only beating QQ and TT. Pretty straight forward lay down to the river shove.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:52 PM

I think Pf you should have raised alot more. If he is a loose player then you dont want to be in a pot with AA against ATC. You want him to have a decent hand like KQ or AJ so if he hits then you will be in a better position to get it all in on the flop. Instead you made him call you PF by giving him the odds to do so. I think I dont mind you bet on the flop but on the turn you should have bet about $4 and then check the river and if he bets just chuck it because the only hand you beat now is a complete bluff. By betting $4 on the turn you make him throw away any drawing hands like 9 10 and if he calls then you know he must have something. So when the 8 hits you have all the more reason to fold because u know he either has top or middle pair and now a full house. I think the river should be a check fold because leading out on the river for half his stack is just giving yourself a reason to call when you know you shouldnt. Also what is this bet on the river.....By betting here you have turned your hand into a bluff becuase you dont know the strength of you hand anymore anw you now beat only a bluff. IT is also very obvious it is not a bluff because his raise on the river is double yours. No on is goin to push for double the bet with a bluff. Soooo Larger raise PF then pretty much bet pot on flop and 3/4 on the turn and fold the river.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:55 PM

this makes a lot of sense. thanks.