Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM

Default plo/8 starting hands

Here it is. I copied and paste it. I hope I didn't violate any forum rules.

Because of lack of PLO8 literature it would be interesting to know what starting hands you play. These hands do I play:

*x=any card (of course)

EP (unraised):
AAxx
A2+3-5+x(A suited)
A346(A suited)
A356(A suited)
A456(A suited)
A23+4-6
A24+5-6
A34+5-6
K23+4-5(K suited)
AKK+2-5(A suited)
AQQ+2-5(A suited)
KQJT
A+ 3 cards above T(A suited)

MP (unraised):
I add
QJT9
KK+ 2 cards of different rank below 5
QQ+ 2 cards of different rank below 5

LP (unraised):
I add
A3+4-5+x(A suited)
A456
KK+ 2 cards of different rank below 8
QQ+ 2 cards of different rank below 8

Button and SB (unraised):
I add
A4xx(A suited)
Any 4 cards above T
Any 3 cards of different rank below 6
KKxx
QQxx

I continue with raised pots in my next post

Post Extras:

Ironman
addict

Reged: 02/18/05
Loc: On my bike...and playing O8 Re: My PLO8 starting hand selection [Re: BarbarianX]
#4413138 - 01/11/06 10:54 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I have very similar requirements.

I have two slight differences.

I don't usually play the K K (and two low cards) or Q Q (and two low cards) outside of the blinds.

But (and I understand this is sacreligious) I will play any four connected cards in an unraised pot (6 7 8 9).

So, not much difference. Neither of these types of hands happen often enough to make a dramatic difference in my winrate.

I play such a tight game that every once in awhile I like to show cards that give the impression I have loose starting requirements.

Dave

Post Extras:

XxPenguinxX
enthusiast

Reged: 06/02/05
Re: My PLO8 starting hand selection [Re: BarbarianX]
#4413615 - 01/11/06 11:46 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Would you really not play A237 from EP if the Ace weren't suited?

Post Extras:

BarbarianX
enthusiast

Reged: 11/02/05
Re: My PLO8 starting hand selection [Re: Ironman]
#4413619 - 01/11/06 11:47 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I read somewhere KK/QQ + two low were'nt good enough starting hands because those premium limit two way hands gets either counterfeited in the low or either lose in the high end to a straight or a flush or at least get freerolled from the turn and on. But I have taken them back because I think I often won with those against weak players chasing low only hands on a two low card flop.

Post Extras:

BarbarianX
enthusiast

Re: My PLO8 starting hand selection [Re: XxPenguinxX]
#4413691 - 01/11/06 11:55 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Probably, but that would be in objection to my theory... :P

No, I really think the hand lack of high hand quality. In my view A236 is a MUCH stronger hand. 45x flops give me an incredibly strong high draw but a 7 doesn't help A23 much. And A23 without a 6 (or a 4/5) or a suited ace is the kind of hand you get quartered with.

Post Extras:

BarbarianX
enthusiast

Re: My PLO8 starting hand selection [Re: Ironman]
#4413729 - 01/11/06 11:59 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Ironman, can you explain your thoughts about playing middle cards. I muck them without a second thought, but I see people playing them from time to time. I have always regarded this as a huge error, have I missed something? My main objection is that you must hit an almost perfect rainbow flop of 776 or 457 and still you're almost always playing for half the pot.

Post Extras:

BarbarianX
enthusiast

Updated list [Re: BarbarianX]
#4415230 - 01/11/06 02:14 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I missed A2xx(A suited) in LP and A3xx(A suited) in Button and SB

EP (unraised):
AAxx
A2+3-5+x(A suited)
A346(A suited)
A356(A suited)
A456(A suited)
A23+4-6
A24+5-6
A34+5-6
K23+4-5(K suited)
AKK+2-5(A suited)
AQQ+2-5(A suited)
KQJT
A+ 3 cards above T(A suited)

MP (unraised):
I add
QJT9
KK+ 2 cards of different rank below 5
QQ+ 2 cards of different rank below 5

LP (unraised):
I add
A2xx(A suited)
A3+4-5+x(A suited)
A456
KK+ 2 cards of different rank below 8
QQ+ 2 cards of different rank below 8

Button and SB (unraised):
I add
A3xx(A suited)
A4xx(A suited)
Any 4 cards above T
Any 3 cards of different rank below 6
KKxx
QQxx

Post Extras:

Ironman
addict

Loc: On my bike...and playing O8 Re: My PLO8 starting hand selection [Re: BarbarianX]
#4415327 - 01/11/06 02:21 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Let me preface this by saying that Buzz and I have had this conversation before and he believes that playing these middle cards is an absolute mistake. Most likely, he is right on the money with this one as well.

But, here is what I have found (and this only works in PLO8 by the way).

1. I will only limp with these hands. So, for a very small bet, I can see if I get a good fit.

2. These hands are very easy to play because when they miss, they really miss. When they hit, they really hit.

3. When I'm playing for the top half of a pot with lots of low cards, there are usually several people playing for the low end. I'm happy to build large pot size bets with 2 or 3 low players playing for a quarter of the pot while I get half.

4. When you do hit those cards, it is essential that you play it fast. You need to make any sets and two pairs think long and hard about calling pot sized bets.

I proceed with caution and dump the hand when it looks like I'm beat.

Ironman Dave

Post Extras:

greatwhite
addict

Reged: 07/04/05
Re: Updated list [Re: BarbarianX]
#4415461 - 01/11/06 02:32 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I'm curious about what you raise with. Do you ever come in with a raise in any position or do you wait until the pot has been raised. I'm new to PLO8, but have experience in both PLO and o8. I never raise in early or middle position in either of these games.

Post Extras:

jthegreat
old hand

Reged: 01/11/05
Re: Updated list [Re: greatwhite]
#4415512 - 01/11/06 02:37 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I will play any A2xx and most A3xx in LP, but aside from that, it's about the same.

Post Extras:

BarbarianX
enthusiast

Re: Updated list [Re: greatwhite]
#4415639 - 01/11/06 02:49 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I'm working on a list but it's much harder than make a similar for PLO High. I have an idea about keeping the pot small as long as possible. It's easier to fold and people tend to call with weak hands anyway, like busted out sets and str8's and one way hands that will make them getting quartered/freerolled etc. But in late position I probably raise with A23X (Ace suited) and AA2x (singel or double suited) if there is a bunch of limpers already in. Usually I raise with weaker AAxx hands in late position if I think I can get it heads up. And I'm always ready to go all-in with AAxx (if at least one of the x's is 8 or lower).

I believe PLO8 is a game of folding, preflop AND postflop. I'm sure there are other strategies that might work as well, but I believe hand reading is more difficult so I prefer to keep it simple and play my own cards.

Post Extras:

BarbarianX
enthusiast

Re: Updated list [Re: jthegreat]
#4415676 - 01/11/06 02:53 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Interesting you said so, because I just made the adjustment when I was playing A29J (Ace suited) three seats from the button. I folded but thought, hey, that one I should have played...! So I added A2xx(As) to Late position and A3xx(As) to "Button and SB".

Post Extras:

Ironman
addict

Loc: On my bike...and playing O8 Re: Updated list [Re: greatwhite]
#4416240 - 01/11/06 03:54 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Greatwhite,

This has been a point of a lot of discussion over the last couple years with this group.

I will raise with these groups of hands in general. There are a few more, but for someone who is new to the game, it's better not to stray too far away (I'll mention one other situation at the end).

Typicall raising hands:

A A 2 (pot sized raises)
A A 3-4 (pot sized raises from middle to late position)
A 2 & another good low card (smaller raise...might limp every once in awhile to change things up)

There is one other spot where I will raise. If I'm in late position with several callers in front of me and I hold 4 good high cards 10 or better, I will put in a raise.

My reasoning...most likely my opponents hold most of the low cards. When the high cards come on the flop...I have both position and cards that fit the flop. Often I can get a free card this way as well. When I check this through after the flop, many opponents will mistakenly put me on a strong ace deuce hand that missed instead of a strong high hand.

Just some thoughts,

Ironman Dave

Post Extras:

jthegreat
old hand

Reged: 01/11/05
Re: Updated list [Re: BarbarianX]
#4417050 - 01/11/06 05:06 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Cool, but I will play them unsuited to the A as well. The suitedness helps, but it's not necessary.

Post Extras:

Bullet_Dodger
banned

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: puttin things into perspective Re: Updated list [Re: jthegreat]
#4418146 - 01/11/06 06:49 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I dont have guidelines. I play poker.

Post Extras:

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Quick Reply:

Options:

Add signature

Preview Reply

Previous Index Next Threaded

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator: Mat Sklansky, FeliciaLee, Ryan Beal, Buzz

Favorite Topic! (toggle)
Print Topic

Forum Permissions
You can start new topics
You can reply to topics
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1034

Rate this topic Choose rating 1 star 2 star 3 star 4 star 5 star
Jump to *Two Plus Two* ----- The Two Plus Two Bonus Program Two Plus Two Internet Magazine Special Sklansky Forum About the Forums*General Poker Discussion* ----- Beginners Questions Books and Publications Televised Poker News, Views, and Gossip Brick and Mortar Home Poker Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance Poker Theory Poker Legislation*German Forums* ----- Poker Allgemein: Poker in general Strategie: Holdem NL cash [German] Strategie: Sonstige Internet/Online [German] BBV [German] Small Talk [German]*French Forums* ----- Forum Francophone Strategie [French] BBV [French]*Limit Texas Hold'em* ----- High Stakes Limit Medium Stakes Limit Small Stakes Limit Micro Stakes Limit Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded Small Stakes Shorthanded Limit-->NL*PL/NL Texas Hold'em* ----- High Stakes Medium Stakes Small Stakes Micro Stakes Full Ring*Tournament Poker* ----- MTT Strategy High Stakes MTT MTT Community STT Strategy Tournament Circuit/WSOP*Other Poker* ----- Omaha/8 Omaha High Stud Heads Up Poker Other Poker Games*General Gambling* ----- Probability Psychology Sports Betting Other Gambling Games Entertainment Betting*Internet Gambling* ----- Internet Gambling Internet Bonuses Affiliates/RakeBack Software*2+2 Communities* ----- Other Other Topics The Lounge: Discussion+Review El Diablo's General Discussion BBV4Life*Other Topics* ----- Sporting Events Politics Business, Finance, and Investing Travel Science, Math, and Philosophy Health and Fitness Student Life Golf Video Games Puzzles and Other Games Laughs or Links! Computer Technical Help*Sponsored Support Forums* ----- RakebackNetwork RakeReduction.com Rakeback

Contact Us 2+2 Publishing