Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 01:50 AM

Default mid pocket pairs mid position - have no idea what to do with them

Trying to learn some tournament stuff, my biggest problem seems to be pocket pairs. For example, blinds still low, medium stacks all around (beginning of tournament) everyone folds to you in midposition. Do you bring in low/medium pairs for a raise?

If there are already callers in, I would guess its okay to call and hope to see a cheap flop. If you are first in though, do you want to raise to narrow the field? If you do raise, what to do if you are reraised? Example, blinds 25-50 starting stack 5000 chips. Mid position you raise to 200, are reraised to 500, do you call and hope to hit your set?

I know this is a very amateur basic question, but I am an amateur player just starting. I have played 2 MTT so far and really enjoy them. I have started reading HOH. Advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Re: mid pocket pairs mid position - have no idea what to do with them

This question is way too general. Read HOH Vol.1 and it should help you alot with this. Other than that, just post specific hands where you have questions about the play.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:12 AM

I vary the way I play my pairs in these situations preflop. Probably 50/50 limp/raise.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This question is way too general. Read HOH Vol.1 and it should help you alot with this. Other than that, just post specific hands where you have questions about the play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. MTT, just started, 5k in chips. Blinds 25-50. Two raises preflop since game started, both from same guy (to my right) went uncontested. I am 6th position, its been folded to me and I look at pocket eights, raise to 200. Folded around to BB who reraised to 500. I called, figuring I had position on him and wanted to see the flop. Flop really sucked for me, ak10, all overs, two spades, coordinated board. He bet out about half the pot, I folded.

I definitely am reading the Harrington book, and I know he addresses stuff like this here. I would appreciate different opinions on how to play these hands from the 2+2'ers also. I have so so so much to learn. I found I really enjoy the MTT more than cash games, and like the SNG's too. Want to concentrate on those right now.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:31 AM

The hand you just posted you played completely standard. His reraise is so small you have to call, once that flop hits just fold.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:45 AM

Cool, other than Harrington, can you or anyone else suggest good nl hold em tournament books. I gotta admit I like Sklansky but he is hard for me to understand quite often. I do not have a strong mathematical background, which I am sure hurts me as a player, but it is what it is.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:51 AM

Tournament Poker for Advanced players is supposed to be pretty good but I have never read it. Other than that just read HOH and read these forums and you are good to go.