Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 01:20 AM

Default My life is in your hands. I need to stack cheddar! GIVE ME GUIDANCE!!!

Give me suggestions about which course would be best for me to take at this point in my life.

First the basics about myself:

Strengths:
-recently graduated from good (top 25) university (good GPA)
-I am 24 (I expect to die at about 73)
-I would put myself at top 8-4% intelligence
-I am willing to take huge riskes, given they are +EV
-good at planning,and coming up with innovative ideas
-extremely efficent worker
- very rational and logical
- good sense of style and design

Weaknesses:
-procrastination
-not charasmatic...likely poor salesman
-likely bad manager
-likely ADD

That is just the basics ask me anything you like...

I hate working under people, and have decided that I would rather start my own business/venture. I am ambitious and persistent...so my question to you: if you were in my shoes, with my qualities, at my age, and you had 300k in liquid $$$ what business or venture would you start. I have many ideas but I would like to hear unbiased answers first. Keep in mind that I want to make a grip of money early in life in order to set up bigger/ more lucrative projects in the future...ask me anything...gogogo
Old 06-02-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: My life is in your hands. I need to stack cheddar! GIVE ME GUIDANC

What was your major?

You could look for a business to buy and run. If you have 300gs, its likely you could buy something where you'd make pretty decent cash. Look for something that you are interested in, has room to grow, and will afford you some free time if you hire more employees. Don't buy a job in other words.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:42 AM

Psychology is my major...I have certainly considered buying an existing business...perhaps buying a conservative/steady-money-maker that could generate enough profit to bankroll my more ambitious/pipe dream ideas....what would you suggest as a business?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Re: My life is in your hands. I need to stack cheddar! GIVE ME GUIDANCE!!!

Timosil,

First, how can you say you are good at planning and an extremely efficient worker, while at the same time saying you procrastinate and likely have ADD? Speaking of which, as a psychology major, one would think you would be able to determine whether you fit the ADD diagnostic criteria [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Second, there are really so many options that your question is just a shot in the dark. More importantly, what is it that you like to do? Whatever it is, build a business around it.

Third, have you ruled out graduate school/PhD? That is certainly one path to ultimately starting your own practice.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Re: My life is in your hands. I need to stack cheddar! GIVE ME GUIDANCE!!!

I do have ADD, I just am not diagnosed (i dont trust psychiastrists) ...if I am interested in something I work faster and more efficently than the vast majority of people, I just have to be suffiently mentally stimulated...otherwise I cant focus on everyday stuff (i wonder when i walk and drive...lose stuff everyday etc.).

The question is supposed to be totally open-ended...thats why I didnt include my interests or plans...I kind of was hopeing for random ideas about what others would do if they were in my place...(that being said I prob have too many ideas about what to do)...

I haven't ruled out grad school...I have been studying for the GMAT and am leaving the option of Business School open. However if I got a PHD and taught I would feel like I was giving up my ambitions as teaching would be a path of less resistance for me (I would become lazy with tenure...lose my hunger)
Old 06-02-2007, 08:30 AM

Take a long look at investing in midwest farmland and other types of real estate in this area. The best and most lucrative avenue would be to purchase Iowa farmland with a good Crop rating.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Take a long look at investing in midwest farmland and other types of real estate in this area. The best and most lucrative avenue would be to purchase Iowa farmland with a good Crop rating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure if this is serious or not, but if it is it is like suggesting he buy condos in south Florida 2 years ago. Midwest farmland is at or near all time highs because of the ethanol bubble, it could get real ugly for anyone buying now.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:11 PM

Further from the truth as many are prediction the current 4500 an acre for Iowa farmland to reach 8,000-10,000 in the next 3-6 years. Personally, I don't see a top out until at least the 6,200 range. Remember, one is making money renting this land out for farming as the land values increase. Iowa farmland will be a good investmest for the next 8-12 months at least, but time is getting short to get in on this fantastic market.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 PM

Fishhead24:

You seem adamant about pushing farmland in Iowa (in multiple threads...are you invested in Iowa farmland? Are you a realator? How do you know so much about this GREAT opportunity?

What if ethanol losses favor to other biofuels or hydrogen? I can't imagine many people wanting to buy farmland in Iowa to build vacation homes...certainly not enough to see a huge upswing in the land value...
Old 06-02-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The question is supposed to be totally open-ended...thats why I didnt include my interests or plans...I kind of was hopeing for random ideas about what others would do if they were in my place...(that being said I prob have too many ideas about what to do)...

[/ QUOTE ]

What I am suggesting to you is that if you listed "your ideas", you would get much better commentary in this thread. For the simple reason you have already outlined...

[ QUOTE ]
...if I am interested in something I work faster and more efficently than the vast majority of people, I just have to be suffiently mentally stimulated

[/ QUOTE ]

So what are the types of things that sufficiently stimulate you?

Helping you brainstorm from a base of your own ideas, is much more productive than working off someone else's list [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

btw, what did you do to accumulate the 300K? Was it earned or inherited? Poker?