[ QUOTE ]
just to pile on...both L'ville and UK's coaches should be fired

LV doesn't kick the FG on 4th and goal from the 6 down 33-28
add in the numerous blown coverage calls this year

UK doesn't go for 2 up 5 with 30 seconds left

I'm sick of just pure idiocy out there

[/ QUOTE ]

To address this:

Rich Brooks said in his postgame quotes that he tried to call timeout to set-up the two-pointer (a clearly obvious decision), but there was a ton of confusion amid the celebration...after all, they did just score in a 57-yard TD with under 30 seconds remaining to take the lead in the program's biggest game in a long, long time. The kicking unit just kinda went out there and kicked it on its own.

It was a terrible, inexcusable mistake that costs you the game there a small percentage of the time, but it is somewhat more understandable in that light IMO.

As for Louisville not kicking the FG...close call. From the 6 I prolly kick, but from the 2 or 3 I'm going for sure. I have a bigger problem with the play-call (middle TE screen on 4th and goal from the 6?????) than the actual decision to go...Louisville's defense was inept, and a Kentucky TD on the ensuing drive (if Louisville takes the 3) makes it a 2-possession game and seals the deal. If UL goes and doesn't get it, UK has to start near their own goal line anyway and you probably get the ball back.

And...nice coverage by U of L on that game-winning TD. My goodness...nobody even near Steve Johnson.

Also warrants mentioning that UK had a tremendously overmatched walk-on cornerback matching up with Mario Urrutia for most of the second half, but still only allowed 1 offensive TD in the half. Gutty performance by the UK defense.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Week 3 College Football Thread

Does Kentucky get some respect now that we've won 8 of our last 9 games including wins over UGA, Clemson, and Louisville? (The only loss in that stretch was at Tennessee, in a game UK basically gave away.)

Kentucky is a very weird team. This current edition of the Cats plays at a sustainable positive turnover margin. They should have been an exception to Phil Steele's TO-margin reversal predictions. The defense usually gives up a ton of yards, but has a knack for keeping the other team off the board and forcing key turnovers, probably due to an emphasis on stripping the ball instead of (sometimes) wrapping up. And Andre Woodson simply doesn't ever make plays that hurt you, refusing to force the ball into coverage.

Kentucky also has a comically small O-line and no real power backs, and as a result struggles mightily in short-yardage situations, but they utilize what they've got to the fullest extent possible, running tons of sweeps to get the more nimble OL's out on the perimeter to block for UK's gaggle of quick, elusive backs. Alfonso Smith would be far and away LSU's best back and he doesn't see the field in close games.

I contend that cornerback Trevard Lindley may be the most underrated player in the entire country...no accolades or really even mentions by local outlets, much less national. It's not really accurate to call him a shut-down corner in the truest sense, because UK's scheme consists of a lot of vanilla zone coverages, but you very rarely see Lindley get beat. Got good size, speed, and hands. Only a sophomore, too.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:05 PM

Bills,
I definitely give UK props (and have told my friends constantly that UK is the real deal). I still think you have some defensive issues but your offensive is just as explosive as predicted.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:42 PM

Fun stats from the LSU game... considering MTSU put up 42 against a no 8 ranked louisiville.

MTSU 37 rushes for 9 yards, avg per carry .2 yards.

90 total yards.

MTSU's first drive went 9 plays for 23 yards. The next 8 drives were all 4 plays or less and went for a combined 12 yards.

LSU has out scored its 3 opponents 147-7.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fun stats from the LSU game... considering MTSU put up 42 against a no 8 ranked louisiville.

90 total yards.

MTSU's first drive went 9 plays for 23 yards. The next 8 drives were all 4 plays or less and went for a combined 12 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really really really wish LSU was playing Notre Dame this year. And Les Miles was in a pissy mood and would run up the score. That would be so ugly... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

EDIT: I guess they are playing USC, but Pete Carroll will likely let up after his is up 50. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lou Holtz: "If Notre Dame loses this game against Michigan, it's going to be very hard for them to make a third straight BCS bowl game."

Wow. Just wow.

I did not think it was possible for Lou Holtz to get any dumber.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone could make a BCS bowl with 2 losses, it's ND.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Free Shoes U did it with 4.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

90 total yards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really really really wish LSU was playing Notre Dame this year. And Les Miles was in a pissy mood and would run up the score. That would be so ugly... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

EDIT: I guess they are playing USC, but Pete Carroll will likely let up after his is up 50. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete Carroll doesn't let up

he might take out a few starters, but he doesn't let up
Old 09-16-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UAT- You forgot the refs handing the game with the bogus PI call to give them the shot at the end zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

were 3-0 youre 1-2. your program is obsolete.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a little harsh, especially since we own you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you want to talk about the PAST? Yeah, Aubie "owns" bama. Sure. 12 national championships versus getting left out of the big dance a couple of years ago. Yeah, the pattern is clear.

Being on the upside of short term variance isn't "owning".
Old 09-16-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why in the mother [censored] world did they just kick a fg

[/ QUOTE ]

In hindsight, this should be obvious. The chances of converting the fourth down are pretty crappy; combine that with the chance of actually getting the TD plus winning in OT, and you're looking at a real long shot.

Taking the FG is the psychological play of the century. It burns the bridges. Forces the troops to fight to the death. If you go for the first down and miss, the team goes into shula mode and gives up.

Cliffs notes: there's a reason Saban makes $4MM and you're bagging groceries.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

90 total yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete Carroll doesn't let up

he might take out a few starters, but he doesn't let up

[/ QUOTE ]
Plus what would "letting up" entail? Normally it's running the ball every play with backups in, right? With USC's depth at running back how does that reduce their ability to score against Notre Dame? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]