Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: I\'m trying to lose weight! Lots of excerisise and booze, probably

I appreciate everyone's input. and I can honestly say... Doh. I'll still try the diet out and post results if anyone is interested. I personally think it'll work. As for "why" someone would drink this much, I like to get wasted sometimes. I'm a drunken 21 year old with a love of boozin. Anyways here are the last few days of exercise, booze sense I started. All times depict minutes of basketball I started all of this weighing 226

9/11- 60

9/12- 80
9/13- 60, 10 shots of tequila with lime/salt caser, 22oz beer.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:55 PM

If simply getting drunk is your goal, go with liquor over beer. For the same amount of alcohol, beer will have way more calories because of the carbs.

Thremp, you've mentioned that diet ice cream thing before, and I think the main difference is that most people don't make lifestyle decisions to eat 4 gallons of ice cream a week. And if they did, they should try diet cause that would make a huge difference.

DrW, I'm interested in seeing your drinking log. I'd be impressed if you could get good results drinking 40+ drinks a week.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Frankly alcohol is bad, but you guys are nutz

Look, forget what it may or may not do to his muscular development or his health, 14shots is like ~1100 calories. Three days a week, that’s under 500 calories a day. He can easily make lifestyle changes (less food or more cardio) to counteract that and then some. Just treat it like calories.

I drank about that much (half a bottle of jack) 3-4 times a week and was losing weight at the same time.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Frankly alcohol is bad, but you guys are nutz

Korch,

The thing is their not just calories. They inhibit performance more than just being calories. If my booze calories were even 2x, I could adjust and be much better off.

Dethgrind,

Umm... If you're gonna indulge, don't half ass it. Next someone will talk about dry sex like its acceptable.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 PM

Thremp,

You seem to be a bit of a guru on these boards, and your point is echoed by many other posters here. Thing is, I have drank about what the OP has for the past two years and I have lost like 150lb and put on some muscle. My bp is good and my blood lipids are spectacular. That's all I'm saying. I also dip like a can every two days.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:11 PM

Korch,

Word. I drink a lot too. I make gains, but I don't pretend like it doesn't eff up my progress either. I'm sure I'd be already putting up the numbers I want to if I just followed what I know I should be doing easier.

Also, not to dig, but moving from morbidly obese to just skinny fat is a pretty meh journey that mostly requires self-control with diet. To get where you started you had to do a huge amount of things wrong, to get back to average you don't really need to do a lot of stuff right, just stop doing a million things really bad. So its probably not the best example.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Korch,

Also, not to dig, but moving from morbidly obese to just skinny fat is a pretty meh journey that mostly requires self-control with diet. To get where you started you had to do a huge amount of things wrong, to get back to average you don't really need to do a lot of stuff right, just stop doing a million things really bad. So its probably not the best example.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right here, but that's not to say a lot of good wasn't accomplished. I guess I don't have any idea as to what progress drinking is inhibiting when I'm still happy I can do a single pushup. :-)
Old 09-14-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's drinking more than you. maybe not on average, but in a given night, and i think liquor is harder on the body than beer, just my experience though. he's also trying to lose weight, which is very difficult to do while drinking liquor, as it is a ton of calories, eats muscle and destroys your metabolism....other than that his diet looks great and i wish him the best of luck.

edit: from everything i've read, i'm pretty sure a bucket of lard would allow you to reach your goals faster than alcohol

[/ QUOTE ]

I think beer is much, much harder on your body than hard liquor. Beer bloats you up big time, and has so many calories outside of just the calories from the alcohol itself. If I drink too much beer or too often, it slows me down and bloats me far more than hard liquor does, and it takes longer to start to feel right again.

There's still a way in which what you say makes some sense to me, though, and that is that because hard liquor is so much easier on the system than beer, it's easier to drink more of it and kid yourself it's not so bad. The bloating and dehydration from beer will clue you in a lot sooner that you've got some negative things happening to your body.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:31 PM

blarg - ya

everyone else - you are retarded if you think your performance/gains/weight loss are the same with or without liquor. that's all i'm saying. that's amazing that you can still gain lbm or lose fat while drinking, don't think you won't gain more lbm and lose more fat if you stopped.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a drunken 21 year old with a love of boozin.
9/13- 60, 10 shots of tequila with lime/salt caser, 22oz beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to bring your thread down, but I'm in my 3rd year of medical school, and have seen people with alcohol end stage lever disease. It's a slow, [censored] way to die. A little drinking is fine, even healthy, but you should consider cutting back before you do some serious damage. End lecture.